News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what other instruments do you play?

Started by Leevibe, July 06, 2014, 10:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

I started on piano, did that for about 6 years, it didn't take primarily because I had teachers who really didn't inspire me.  One day I'll start it up again, and learn what I want to learn, not what the book wants to teach me.  In retrospect, it's probably a good thing piano didn't take, cause if it had, I'd have ended up collecting pianos instead of guitars, and would have to live in an abandoned airplane hanger.

I play a little bit of bass and have stood in on bass from time to time, but really I play it more as a songwriting tool than actually being any good at it.  I oversubscribe to the theory of "When in doubt, hit the fat string."

I am trying to learn steel guitar (lap to start with) and mandolin, again for song writing purposes, because they are great textural instruments.  Unfortunately, it's also harder not to sound like a complete hack on them.

I can't drum to save my life.  Not even a little bit.  It's pathetic, really.  But I am going to buy an acoustic kit when the new house gets built complete with the soundproof music room, and try to learn or at least make a lot of noise.  I have an electronic kit, but it sucks on so many levels, not the least of which is it is all far too confined to be useful.

But most of my energy is devoted to trying to become a better guitar player, as I have coasted in my comfort zone for far too long. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

m-Kresol

I followed my brother in quite a few things over the time. When he started drums, I started with mallets. First is was Glockenspiel (small and rather inexpensive), and because it's part of the whole "drums and percussion" family I also started learning drum set and later on it was mostly xylophone, marimba or vibraphone. I also played in an ensemble, which was rather successful winning a few contests and playing a few shows at eg. sports events or for a politician during her campaign, which proved to rather rewarding money-wise as a teenager.

When my bro started playing bass, it wasn't long before I picked up a Squier electric guitar and finally dropped out of drums/mallets when I was in my final year of high school. Since both my bro and me moved to cities rather far away from my parents' home for college and we never really played when we were home, we sold both the xylophone and the drum kit. I often regret that, since you always want what you don't have. Tried it again two years ago and it's unbelievable how fast you forget how to play.

I always fancied trombone, trumpet and violin. These instruments add a certain charme to all my favorite post-rock songs. Too bad I'm too old for the local music school. ;(
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

derevaun

Piano - took years of lessons, played weekly in church.

Euphonium - I excelled at it, getting a free ride through college with it. But it's not a standard orchestra horn, so the military is where you go to play your euphonium. This did not appeal. I switched my major to music composition.

Started guitar as a teenager, taking lessons at the baptist church. The teacher saw me write something with my left hand, and told me he wouldn't teach me anymore  :o It's been on/off since then.

I have fretless bass that I love to noodle around on (huge Mick Karn fan). And I dig making beats and drones with lo-fi gadgets. But it's back to piano these days, having bought a new Hailun upright. I spend a large art of my me time working on Chopin and Philip Glass pieces.

midwayfair

Quote from: derevaun on July 07, 2014, 11:59:26 PM
Euphonium - I excelled at it, getting a free ride through college with it. But it's not a standard orchestra horn, so the military is where you go to play your euphonium. This did not appeal. I switched my major to music composition.

That's pretty awesome.

<makes mental note>

Leevibe

Euphonium - I excelled at it, getting a free ride through college with it.

Low brass FTW! I got offered full tuition to play trombone at the University of Hawaii but I didn't go because I met a great girl! It worked out and we've had 18 great years of marriage. I promised to take her to Hawaii but we haven't made it yet. It will happen.

GermanCdn

Quote from: Leevibe link=topic=16374.msg155263#msg155263 date=

Low brass FTW! I got offered full tuition to play trombone at the University of Hawaii but I didn't go because I met a great girl! It worked out and we've had 18 great years of marriage. I promised to take her to Hawaii but we haven't made it yet. It will happen.

That is pretty much the only way that story could have ended without a whole lot of  :o s, lol.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Leevibe

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 08, 2014, 12:42:05 AM

That is pretty much the only way that story could have ended without a whole lot of  :o s, lol.

Yeah. If they would have offered me room, board, and books in addition to the tuition, I probably would have ended up marrying the wrong woman and I'd be miserable. Haha.

derevaun

Quote from: Leevibe on July 08, 2014, 12:51:31 AM
Quote from: GermanCdn on July 08, 2014, 12:42:05 AM

Yeah. If they would have offered me room, board, and books in addition to the tuition, I probably would have ended up marrying the wrong woman and I'd be miserable. Haha.

True that--we low brass players don't always have zillions of ladies in our company :-D

But at least music scholarships have tended to remain steady at state schools with outsized athletic departments. They fund the marching band, freeing up money for the string and throat majors :-)

davent

Started guitar as a teenager, taking lessons at the baptist church. The teacher saw me write something with my left hand, and told me he wouldn't teach me anymore  :o

That's abhorent!
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

gordo

+1 on above.  Started guitar when I was in Grade 4 and wore out my folks record player trying to cop Mason Williams and Chet Atkins tunes.  By Grade 12 I actually got to play "Classical Gas" with a full concert band.  I've never been the same since.  Six years on the road and then quit for 16.  Got a church gig these days and sit in on bass from time to time.  I go WAY out of my way NOT to sound like a guitar player playing bass.  I can usually spot one of those from a few blocks away.  Wish I had a decent voice and would like to play keys.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

Mom was a concert violinist. Started on piano, then guitar while playing Trombone all through grade school. Sorta a bass player but mostly gigged guitar and keys. Early 60s opened for Strawberry Alarmclock. Later in the 60s "Superchief" (signed to Polygram EMI) Played at the Newport Pop Festival in 1968. 70s "Live Jive" Motown and Funk blah blah put out an EP in the 80s with my group "Shake".  Switched to Audio Post and music Scoring. Opened a facility in So. Cal. Had a great run, won a "Golden Reel" award for audio supervisor on an iMax animation. Several National Broadcasts. Did all of Steve Oedekerks "thumb" shorts. Thumbtanic, Thumbwars, Blair Thumb, Bat Thumb, God Thumb and Frankenthumb. So my legacy is that....Thumbs. I'm listed in the Imdb if you want a laugh. (Dan Shattuck) Went into Video Production for a while..  Was a worship Pastor for many years. Now I'm an Audio Video Forensic Examiner and wish I could just play my freaking guitar....

I have put a card table in my new electronics room...8-)

Leevibe

Quote from: blearyeyes on July 08, 2014, 05:20:09 AM
Mom was a concert violinist. Started on piano, then guitar while playing Trombone all through grade school. Sorta a bass player but mostly gigged guitar and keys. Early 60s opened for Strawberry Alarmclock. Later in the 60s "Superchief" (signed to Polygram EMI) Played at the Newport Pop Festival in 1968. 70s "Live Jive" Motown and Funk blah blah put out an EP in the 80s with my group "Shake".  Switched to Audio Post and music Scoring. Opened a facility in So. Cal. Had a great run, won a "Golden Reel" award for audio supervisor on an iMax animation. Several National Broadcasts. Did all of Steve Oedekerks "thumb" shorts. Thumbtanic, Thumbwars, Blair Thumb, Bat Thumb, God Thumb and Frankenthumb. So my legacy is that....Thumbs. I'm listed in the Imdb if you want a laugh. (Dan Shattuck) Went into Video Production for a while..  Was a worship Pastor for many years. Now I'm an Audio Video Forensic Examiner and wish I could just play my freaking guitar.... I have put a card table in my new electronics room...8-)

No work on Kung Pow?! You must be bummed about that! What a cool career!

blearyeyes

Steve and Paul did all the audio in Steve's little editing shack in his back yard. Weeuuuweuu...  I had a lot of fun doing Comedy stuff..

I picked up an 8 string guitar and fumble around on it trying to renew my youth. Plus playing keyboards these days, using Logic on a Mac, there really isn't anything you can't simulate including full Orchestral pieces which has been my aspiration for many years.  But it's not the same as actually playing all the instruments.

Lastly my Girlfriend gave me a Saxophone that is in great shape. I seem to have attracted a flock of Geese to my neighborhood...

Jopn

I'm a drummer.

Maybe at some point I'll consider taking up a musical instrument.

jkokura

I play all of them. No seriously, I do.

The question is how well I play them. :)

I play the Guitar, Bass, Drums, and Vocals very well.
I play the Piano, Sax and general percussion ok.
I play many other instruments with various levels of ability, from barely any to passable.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals