News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

fatpants - chip question

Started by mattpoole, April 20, 2011, 04:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpoole

i am building a fatpants and have everything ordered except the IC. i used tayda for the first time for some the parts (i ordered a boat load of sockets, resisters, leds, bezels, etc.), i eagerly await that package.

is the TC1044SCPA pretty much the best option or is there a more readily available / good alternative?

i haven't been able to find these at most places, and when i have found them the shipping makes it not even worth it.

thanks
-matt

edit: i probably should have put this in general questions instead of tech help, sorry.

jkokura

I bought all my TC1044's from Mouser. At the time, they were like 1.25 or 1.50 each, but if you bought 10 the price dropped to 1 buck each. I think I got 10 initially, and then bought another 10.

Functionally they are equivalent to the MAX and 7660 units. They work just the same. Since they're only dealing with power and voltage issues, I don't see how they could affect the tone of a device. I think they're the best option based on price and availability from Mouser.

If you aren't ordering from mouser, but they have the option for a TC1044, I'd say go for it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

cjkbug

^+1 jacob's right on the money with this one.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

mattpoole

the chip is 1.05 but shipping for 6.95 makes it $8, which is a lot to spend on an ic.  ???
maybe i'll order some more stuff to make it worth it.

redbean

Quote from: mattpoole on April 20, 2011, 05:09:23 PM
the chip is 1.05 but shipping for 6.95 makes it $8, which is a lot to spend on an ic.  ???
maybe i'll order some more stuff to make it worth it.

That's what I did. I ordered three TC1044s for $1.05 apiece at Mouser, along with a lot of other parts I needed. Thus far, I am very happy with Mouser's services. They delivered my very long, complex list of items very fast, and fixed a minor problem within minutes after calling them.
es là-bas!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

The shipping is the thing I was kinda skeptical about. I think its strange they can't ship a small package for cheaper.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

mattpoole

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 21, 2011, 04:57:49 AM
The shipping is the thing I was kinda skeptical about. I think its strange they can't ship a small package for cheaper.

yet tayda, a company in thailand, will ship a small order for a buck!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: mattpoole on April 21, 2011, 01:48:19 PM
yet tayda, a company in thailand, will ship a small order for a buck!

Whats crazier is they will ship 1000 resistors for 1 buck. And IIRC for the next thousand the shipping when up to $1.29. And honestly I recieved my package in 6-7 days(before I could think about it)  ;D

mattpoole

i somehow drove my shipping up to $6.30 at tayda the other day, i may have ordered more than i realized i was ordering at the time. ::)

sgmezei

I have done all of my ordering from Mouser, Small Bear, PPP, and recently tried Mammoth.

Is tayda worth trying out? I am in Canada so I always create a big shopping cart at mouser and once it hits $200 I get free air shipping. It is literally at my door the next day. Which I like. Everywhere else seems to take 2 to 3 weeks.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: sgmezei on April 23, 2011, 01:03:10 AM
Is tayda worth trying out? I am in Canada so I always create a big shopping cart at mouser and once it hits $200 I get free air shipping. It is literally at my door the next day. Which I like. Everywhere else seems to take 2 to 3 weeks.

I believe it's worth a try. Ceramic disc are 1 penny a piece and same with carbon film resistors. It quite the deal. I like their pots, 55 cents and they come w/ a sort of pot condom on them. That free air shipping you mentioned sounds nice too though  :)

mattpoole

i ended up ordering a few ICL7660SCPA chips (part# ICL7660SCPA-ND) from digi-key, it seemed like the most reasonable option.

has anyone else used this chip in the fatpants with good results? i believe it can take up to 12V like the TC1044SCPA.