News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Evel Genius

Started by Leevibe, July 05, 2014, 12:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

When I was in the first grade, back in the late 70's, I got a hand-me-down Evel Knievel lunch box and I thought it was the coolest. My friends and I used to imagine that we were him, jumping our bikes. Thankfully I never broke any bones doing that. I did break my handlebars off one time though. :)

Well, I still think Evel Knievel is so cool. It's hard to imagine the stuff he did was humanly possible, or that he was doing those stunts on Harleys!! So, I was thinking it would be fun to do a pedal based on my childhood hero. I've had a sparkle white 1590b sitting around for about a year just waiting for the perfect project. Meanwhile, I recently completed a new layout for what will potentially become my "Long Block" overdrive. It's the same circuit as in the "Big Block" but it doesn't have all the clipping and bass filtering options. So, I decided to get whimsical and make an Evel Knievel tribute pedal!

This is my first envirotex try. I went against good advice by Juan and tried another brand. It's called ICE Resin, and I can say, it's awesome!! I can't believe how easy it was to get perfect results. The only hard thing about using it is waiting for it to cure. It's almost overwhelmingly tempting to touch it! I will be using it again for sure. I did the Rain-X trick before drilling and that seems to have worked perfectly. I can't find any flaws in the finish anywhere except for one fleck of dust that only I will ever know exists.

The graphic is a laser printer clear waterslide. I haven't done a waterslide for a long time. I thought I was done with them for good after going to screen printing, but with the resin coating, it's easy to get perfect results so I will be doing more of these for custom builds.

Other things about this build that were firsts for me: lumberg power jack and solid core wire (I've used it in amp builds but not in a stomp box). I was intending to put a battery in this one, something I haven't done for a long time, but I didn't have any open frame stereo jacks and I didn't want to wait! Anyway, I can always convert it later if I decide to.

Thanks for looking!
Lee

hoodoo

Wow mate, this is the coolest looking build i've seen in a while, red white and blue wire and all, flawless in every way.I couldn't see the picture while reading the text and i sorta got excited about what it would look like.  ;D As a kid in the 70's, even in Australia, he was about as cool as it gets, all the best, Matt.

jubal81

BADasssss.
That is so damn sharp it hurts. And the inside is as art as the outside. Outstanding! Love it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

davent

That switch wiring is as cool as it gets!(edit, and so 4th of July!). Super stylish build!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

That wiring is very intimidating  :o

I was expecting art more along the lines of Elixir Studio's "Evil Genius" videogame, though :) Evel Keneval is more just some guy I heard of from the US a few times.

Very nicely done indeed, Juan better look out!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Super cool! Quite a stunt that you pulled off there... 8)
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Supreme inside and out. The wiring is a nice touch.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PhiloB

The outside is beautiful....then I saw the pristine inside with the Red White and Blue wires perfectly laid out!!!  Too awesome.
I had a Evel toy motorcycle the had a hand crank/launch pad that was my favorite toy for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhiloB

GammaFlex

That is awesome! Love the patriotic wiring. I think you have a serious case of CDO :D

wgc

Wow. I never felt old until I mentioned evel and none of my coworkers in the room knew what I was talking about. I had that toy also and the only thing that came close were the Star Trek walkie talkies and an stp racer. I also broke a bike pretending it was a stunt bike.

Super clean wiring and love how the decal looks almost 3d.

Light fuse and get away fast..!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Leevibe

Quote from: PhiloB on July 05, 2014, 02:41:28 AM

YEAH!! I remember those. My friend had a couple of them and we would make ramps out of books and stuff and jump them. Those were so fun!

Leevibe

Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone! There's lots represented in this build that I've picked up from you guys.

Quote from: alanp on July 05, 2014, 01:24:57 AM

Very nicely done indeed, Juan better look out!

Juan's in no danger. He's on a very high pedestal, just below Evel.

Leevibe

Quote from: wgc on July 05, 2014, 03:30:42 AM
Wow. I never felt old until I mentioned evel and none of my coworkers in the room knew what I was talking about. I had that toy also and the only thing that came close were the Star Trek walkie talkies and an stp racer. I also broke a bike pretending it was a stunt bike.

Super clean wiring and love how the decal looks almost 3d.

Light fuse and get away fast..!

Haha. It was a total coincidence that I was boxing this up today, July 4th! It just worked out that way, but how fitting.

Man, I need to learn how to do multi-quotes in these replies.

culturejam

Quote from: Leevibe on July 05, 2014, 04:03:38 AM
YEAH!! I remember those. My friend had a couple of them and we would make ramps out of books and stuff and jump them. Those were so fun!

I had the same toy, but it wasn't Evel Knievel branded. It was called Team America. Good times.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects