News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal train volto - thoughts?

Started by the3secondrule, July 04, 2014, 11:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

Thinking about getting a small power supply for my pedal train mini - anyone used the PT volto? Thoughts?

what do you guys power your smaller boards off? I guess the other option is a onespot and daisy chain...
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

alanp

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/pedal-power-supplies/cables.html

Got one of his Godlyke's, and a 11 plug daisy chain, works very well :)

Better yet, it's a Kiwi company :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

playpunk

Cioks has some small power supplies that should work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

the3secondrule

I had a godlyke powerall, and it was so damn noisy. i couldn't use it with anything hi-gain with it whine-ing

Quote from: alanp on July 04, 2014, 11:58:22 PM
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/pedal-power-supplies/cables.html

Got one of his Godlyke's, and a 11 plug daisy chain, works very well :)

Better yet, it's a Kiwi company :D

Matt

In my gigging days I used a Boss TU-2 with a daisy chain
Matt

the3secondrule

I just got recommended the Cioks ADAM. Looks awesome. more research required

RobA

Quote from: the3secondrule on July 04, 2014, 11:48:00 PM
Thinking about getting a small power supply for my pedal train mini - anyone used the PT volto? Thoughts?

what do you guys power your smaller boards off? I guess the other option is a onespot and daisy chain...
I like the idea of the Volto, but there are a couple of things I think could be better about it. So, I've been playing with these,
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/RECOM-Power/RO-0509S/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvGsmoEFRKS8PNQK9Wr5ol%2fKkO3xp8Kc%252bw%3d

They are pretty small and come in 9V, 12V, and 15V versions as well as dual rail versions of the same voltages. They are isolated outputs, so can be used for negative rail pedals.

There are a ton of USB batter packs available in all sorts of configurations and capacities. You just need a distribution box that takes in a standard USB connection and hook the power rails to several of the Recom parts with some minimal filtering and you can DIY a power supply that is really clean and has isolated taps. Each tap can be daisy chained if you stay within the ~100mA capacity of the DC/DC converter.

A nice advantage to doing it this way is that you can have backup battery packs and switch them out if you need to. You could even have a couple mounted on the pedalboard. And as a final backup, you could hook the distribution box straight to a 5V USB 2.1A power supply/wall wart and run it from there. 
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).