News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nurd

Started by chuckbuick, July 01, 2014, 02:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckbuick

Here's my SMD version of the MB Poindexter.  This thing is pretty much completely nuts.  At low gain settings it is still a pretty high gain fuzz.  At high gain settings it's like a chainsaw is cutting the cones out of my speakers while Dan Auerbach repeatedly kicks me in the head. 

I'm not getting a whole lot of octave effect.  Maybe Q3 and Q4 are too mismatched?  It's also quite noisy but I found some stuff in Madbeans build doc that might help with that.  If I tweak the knobs just right I can even pick up the baseball game ;D.  Running my compressor in front of it quiets it nicely.  But I still dig it, quirks and all.

Leevibe

Awesome build! That's a hilarious name. That's a lot o' little tiny parts in there. It's making me want to brave up and try SMD.

m-Kresol

Cool build, bro. Where did you get the pcb from? that board looks like a challenge I'd like to take up
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

chuckbuick

Thanks guys.
Quote from: m-Kresol on July 01, 2014, 05:30:21 AM
Where did you get the pcb from? that board looks like a challenge I'd like to take up
It's a board I whipped up.  I've got an extra I can send you but I'd like to tweak one or 2 things to see if I can get it a bit quieter first.

Govmnt_Lacky

That looks very pro!

Did you use a heat gun and paste? Looks too good to have been done with an iron  ;D

flanagan0718

Quote from: Leevibe on July 01, 2014, 04:43:46 AM
Awesome build! That's a hilarious name. That's a lot o' little tiny parts in there. It's making me want to brave up and try SMD.
+1. These SMD builds all look so good. I unfortunately have Sasquatch hands and don't think I could pull the SMD stuff off with such grace as you guys. Great Build!

Soup39

wgc

Awesome!  I like what you did with diode pads, Mark.  The rest is killer too.

My experience with octave fuzz is that a lot depends on the pups and playing style.  Also, where you are on the neck.  Lower output neck pup plus backing off tone and volume, then play around the 12th fret and try picking a bit lighter.   So in other words it may be working just fine. :)

The Octavia I did works best, takes a little dialing in but not hard.  When it's sweet, it's really sweet.  The deadpool has a slight octave to it but it's much harder to get that going consistently.  The deadpool also can be noisy at times but I think it's more from my wiring than anything else.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

chuckbuick

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 01, 2014, 01:27:09 PM
That looks very pro!

Did you use a heat gun and paste? Looks too good to have been done with an iron  ;D
Thanks.  I've been wanting to try paste but I just keep forgetting to order some.  These were soldered by hand.  I think the key is using is using .015" solder.  It's a lot easier to control and get the amount of solder you want on the pad.  And liberal use of the flux pen, too.

Thanks for the info, Billy.  I'll try playing around with pups and knobs more.  I haven't tried it with my single coil guitar yet, either.  Maybe that will help.

I tried using diode pads that would allow me to use various size packages.  I'm not sure how much difference it will make but I'm using BAT-42's in it.  I discovered last night that I have some BAT-41's so I'll try swapping those in.  I believe that's what MB's build doc calls for in place of germanium diodes.

GammaFlex

Another awesome SMD build. When you say "chainsaw" does it simply get extremely treble heavy the higher on the knob you go or does it just scoop out the mids? That might not be a bad thing especially if one is using an extremely bass heavy amp with not much clarity ala Marshall.

GrindCustoms

Mark, the human with more soldering skills than an automate... :o

Great job bro!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

blearyeyes

That's sweet!
You hand soldered that...wow!
What did you use, a microscope and tweezers?

chuckbuick

Quote from: GammaFlex on July 01, 2014, 02:30:18 PM
Another awesome SMD build. When you say "chainsaw" does it simply get extremely treble heavy the higher on the knob you go or does it just scoop out the mids? That might not be a bad thing especially if one is using an extremely bass heavy amp with not much clarity ala Marshall.
It was definitely way to trebley.  I changed a cap value to bleed off more treble and that quieted it down a bit more and made the tone control much more useable.  Still plenty of highs but also allows a lot more treble to be taken out.  Another benefit is the octave up is coming through a bit more.
Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 01, 2014, 07:13:19 PM
Mark, the human with more soldering skills than an automate... :o
Thanks Rej.  I'm thinking about removing my right hand and adding a soldering iron.  It probably wouldn't hurt my playing, either ;).
Quote from: blearyeyes on July 01, 2014, 09:16:41 PM
That's sweet!
You hand soldered that...wow!
What did you use, a microscope and tweezers?
Opti-Visor and tweezers.  Magnification is the only way to go for this stuff.

blearyeyes

I'm a bit older and I need an opti-visor for regular through hole stuff. LOL.  Great job and very interesting. When you made the board which software and library did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blearyeyes

Oh and if you opt for the hand replacement make sure you get one with plenty of accessory attachment options... Ha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk