News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

low out put on pasty face

Started by gaffled, June 30, 2014, 09:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaffled

Hey guys I just got my pasty face in my test box and the output is really low.  The fuzz sounds absolutely awesome, exactly as I had hoped but I have the volume knob dimed and it still isn't at unity.  Ive checked all the values of the components and theyre good.  Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing it or something specific I should be looking at.  thanks mike

gaffled

I might be an idiot, I just realized I put in ac125 transistors.  Aren't the tab side supposed to be positioned opposite of the silk screen (collector is on the flange).  My voltages seem off to me but im not a tone bender expert.  they are as follows  (from the flange to the other side):
Q1: 6.02, 7.10, 7.82
Q2: 5.98, 7.37, 7.72
Q3: 7.00, 9.27, 9.29

Also if they are in backwards, the fuzz sounds absolutely great that way.  Does anyone know if that will hurt the transistor and if not is there a way to bump up the volume so I can leave it like that.  Thanks, mike

midwayfair

There's a 470R at the end of the circuit.

Raise it to 1K or 1.5K. You might have to adjust the bias afterward.

gaffled

On this one there is no 470r.  I know on an MKII that raising a the 470r helps, but I can't find one on this MKIII build. 

selfdestroyer

midwayfair

Quote from: gaffled on June 30, 2014, 10:57:34 PM
On this one there is no 470r.  I know on an MKII that raising a the 470r helps, but I can't find one on this MKIII build.

Woops, sorry!  I was thinking Mangler.