News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PAiA phlanger - anybody tried or built this?

Started by lars, June 30, 2014, 01:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I recently found the pdf build document from an old "Radio Electronics" magazine for the PAiA phlanger. Apparently you could order these as a complete kit or use the layout and parts list to build your own. It has an interesting set of controls; different than most other flangers I've seen. I can't find any demo clips of what these sound like. Has anybody had any experience with these? It used the SAD1024 in parallel multiplex, just like the electric mistress, but it also had a buffered VCO for the clock. I imagine it sounded pretty good.

Scruffie

The controls are just rate, width, manual, feedback and mix with different names, peak is a trimmer for setting the clock range.

Expression manual and rate control is nice I guess if you want that.

No clipping in the feedback path so it'll be on the more musical side like an electric mistress rather than jetty... I don't see any buffering for the VCO? The 566 is just a general purpose VCO package.

Probably nothing special.

Edit: Seems the LM566 is an obsolete part as well as the SAD1024, twice as hard to build, yay! :o Possibly replaceable with a 4046 I guess.
Works at Lectric-FX

lars

According to the Phillips datasheet for the NE/SE566, the buffering is built-in. Don't know if the LM566 is sans buffering.

gordo

In it's day it was pretty edgy stuff and a different flavor than the MXR/ADA/Ross ilk.  A pretty ambitious project and decidedly non-pedal board (which really didn't exist back then unless you can deem duct tape a "board") friendly setup but cool none the less.  I built a Gnome synth but never shelled out the relatively big coin (back then) for the Phlanger.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?