News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Footswitchable Octave on Retrograde

Started by HailToTheBlues, June 26, 2014, 10:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
Some time ago i asked you how i could use a footswitch to wire the octave of the Retrograde, and Cody sent me this pic to wire it down.
The thing is, the switch is working normally, i can switch the octave on and off, and the fuzz is working as well, but the led doesn't light up when i engage the octave.
I used a 2pdt switch, by the way.
Any clue?

Best regards

snz728

I dont see a resistor off the led so you might have burned it out if you wired it like the diagram.

HailToTheBlues

I wired a 4k7 resistor on the "d1" side, i have tested the led before and after i soldered, and it is still working.

jimilee

Then it is most certainly a grounding issue.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Yeah, that should work. Do you have a continuity tester? It might help to verify the switch is working and your black wire is indeed grounded.

HailToTheBlues

yeah, my multimeter has that option. Where do i place the leads?

madbean

Without power connected, check that you have continuity between the two upper right lugs (red wire and black wire). You may have to depress the footswitch one time. Next, check that you have continuity between the black lug and any grounding point on the circuitboard.

HailToTheBlues

The red and black have continuity between them, but the black lug isn't connected to ground. I tested it on the enclosure as it is connectd to the jacks, that's okay isn't it?

jimilee

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on June 27, 2014, 03:40:26 PM
The red and black have continuity between them, but the black lug isn't connected to ground. I tested it on the enclosure as it is connectd to the jacks, that's okay isn't it?
As long as it makes it work properly, yes. I've done that before myself. The enclosure is grounded ultimately to the ground on the dc jack.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

HailToTheBlues

So maybe i should try another ground place that is more trustworthy. But i think that the problem was already found, the led isn't connect to ground. So what's the next step here? Where do i connect it to ground?

jimilee

The DC jack or what ever the input jack is grounded to.

HailToTheBlues

It is connected to the dc jack. So i solder a wire from the dc jack to the negative lead of the led, isn't that right?

HailToTheBlues

I said that wrong  ::) the input is not connectd to the dc jack, it is just connected to the 3pdt

HailToTheBlues

I have connected the negative lead of the led, to the 3pdt lug where is connect the ground of the input jack, and now the led is connect to ground (i've checked it) but it's still not lighting up.

selfdestroyer

Rafa, I think its time for some photos of you build to help troubleshoot this. Sorry I could not help more during the week, work was insane this week. Should have a nice building weekend.

Cody