News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

You know why I love this site.....

Started by GermanCdn, June 26, 2014, 03:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

There isn't a single John Mayer thread on the first page of Open Discussion.  Currently 12 on TGP.  I get that it's a joke, but that's a little much.

(says the guy who answered the now deleted thread of "If John Mayer were an animal, what animal would he be?"  "Herpesores Rex".  I figure him and Derek Jeter have had a few girlfriends in common, and DJ's apparently Patient Zero in that regard).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

There's a slimy character on Game of Thrones that looks like John Mayer.

I realized, after commenting about it to Lexa, that I thought the character was creepy because he looked like John Mayer, and not because the character is a total creep.

I don't have a good explanation for this.

GermanCdn

Quote from: midwayfair on June 26, 2014, 03:11:30 PM

I realized, after commenting about it to Lexa, that I thought the character was creepy because he looked like John Mayer, and not because the character is a total creep.

And I just did a complete spit take all over my laptop.....meh, it needed replacing.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

He does seem to come across a bit poorly in interviews.

I've met him and he was perfectly nice in person.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

raulduke

I don't know a thing about John Mayer as a person, but I know his music is as stale and unwelcome to me as a fart in an lift.

Which Character? Ramsay Bolton?

Series 4 was pretty awesome I have to say.

GermanCdn

Quote from: pickdropper on June 26, 2014, 04:06:25 PM

I'll be honest, I picked up his live disc (the pop stuff from 12 years ago), and the guys got chops.  He probably suffered early from too much radio exposure on the "Body is a Wonderland" stuff.

But yeah, comes off a little d-baggy in interviews.  That, and most of us are probably jealous of his gear and his near endless string of hot female companions. 

pickdropper

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 26, 2014, 04:22:14 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on June 26, 2014, 04:06:25 PM

I'll be honest, I picked up his live disc (the pop stuff from 12 years ago), and the guys got chops.  He probably suffered early from too much radio exposure on the "Body is a Wonderland" stuff.

But yeah, comes off a little d-baggy in interviews.  That, and most of us are probably jealous of his gear and his near endless string of hot female companions.

I have a bit of a different perspective because I know somebody who used to work for him and they knew him on a longer term basis.  Opinions change when people become real and not just an image presented to the public.  He treated the person I know quite well.

Prior to that, I shared more of the standard public opinion of him (mostly because of bad interviews).  I'm not the great Mayer defender here; some of the things he's said are pretty ridiculous.

As far as his music, I didn't care for the early stuff much.  He plays well live.  I've enjoyed the shows I've seen, but wouldn't call them life changing events.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

I'm quite proud to say, I have no idea who it is you're all talking about.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

I'm one of those... "I was listening to Mayer before he was mainstream" sorta people, because I was. Although, I haven't bought an album after Room for Squares. His ability to both play guitar and write great songs is noticeable. It's not a mistake that he's as popular as he is - chops, songs, and the looks.

I don't know much about him personally. I would say that if I got to spend an afternoon jamming with him I wouldn't say no.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

I don't actually have a problem with John Mayer. We even play one of his songs (Gravity) in Midway Fair. I just think he looks a little creepy.

Quote from: raulduke on June 26, 2014, 04:08:30 PM
I don't know a thing about John Mayer as a person, but I know his music is as stale and unwelcome to me as a fart in an lift.

Which Character? Ramsay Bolton?

Series 4 was pretty awesome I have to say.

Yeah.

We watched The Viper and The Mountain yesterday. I still feel icky from that ... also, I feel manipulated because of the physical and logical impossibility required to *spoiler* *spoiler* like that just to *spoiler* yet another character, but whatever. Lexa told me it happens more realistically in the book.

alanp

Quote from: juansolo on June 26, 2014, 04:48:05 PM
I'm quite proud to say, I have no idea who it is you're all talking about.

Never heard the guy, but I think he's one of the guitar dude music type guys that blues lawyers go nuts over. (Like Gary Moore, or Bonnammassa -- if you ask a stranger outside my door, NO ONE will have heard of them except for guitar dudes.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Justus

Quote from: midwayfair on June 26, 2014, 06:24:53 PM
Yeah.

We watched The Viper and The Mountain yesterday. I still feel icky from that ... also, I feel manipulated because of the physical and logical impossibility required to *spoiler* *spoiler* like that just to *spoiler* yet another character, but whatever. Lexa told me it happens more realistically in the book.

Coincidence, I watched it yesterday too.  And I know exactly what you're talking about.  I knew it was coming, but when it happened I actually physically felt sick for a few moments.  It was just enough different from the books to be really disturbing.  Of course, I had to watch the next episode in order to give my brain time to purge that scene before heading to bed.

bcalla

My wife and I saw him last summer in New Hampshire, and he's quite good live.  Not surprisingly, his band was amazing.  And there was plenty of gear to drool over.

My only complaint was that the venue was MUCH TOO LOUD!!  The opening act (Phillip Phillips or some other double-named person I never heard of) was actually painful.  I used foam earplugs and it still hurt my ears.  JM was very loud, but no pain.  Or maybe I was in shock from the first guy.

cooder

There... now this forum has also a John Mayer thread.... bit of a stuff up then in'it...? :o
BigNoise Amplification