Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Love, Hate, Guilty Pleasure...covers

Started by flanagan0718, June 25, 2014, 02:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfud

Hard to pick only three, but here goes:

I love this:

Not that I hate this one, more that I find it very funny (there's a sabbath theme forming in this thread):

And a guilty pleasure:

spin

I'm a little taken aback that not one, but two of you listed Cake as a 'guilty pleasure' and not a 'love'

flanagan0718

Quote from: spin on June 28, 2014, 12:32:33 AM
I'm a little taken aback that not one, but two of you listed Cake as a 'guilty pleasure' and not a 'love'
I love Cake they rock and the war pigs cover is awesome. Most people don't know this but "perhaps perhaps perhaps" is a cover too. Who ever posted the CoC cover rules btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davent

To admit to loving what's originally a disco anthem (we're not talking War Pigs just in case that wasn't clear)... so much for any hard earned cred... safe to go in the column under Guilty Pleasures.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lincolnic

I don't believe in guilty pleasures. Cake is awesome.

Thus ends my entirely declarative post.

davent

Yes, Cake is awesome... disco anthems... one must be cautious.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lincolnic

Who cares if something was a disco anthem first? You don't have to quantify your taste by saying you feel guilty. Why should you feel guilty about liking a song? If you like a thing, then like it. It's just music, it's not like you're admitting you like to make babies cry or anything. Real cred comes from not caring what people think anyway.

(And that's why I don't believe in guilty pleasures.  8) )

davent

Rest assured my tongue has been buried firmly in cheek.
Take care!
dave

sonarchotic

Another great cover. Grails doing a cover of 'Satori III' by Flower Travellin' Band. Awesome video too.

Stomptown

I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed at all to like Cake or that song. I list it as a guilty pleasure more so because of how different it is from the original. I imagine the guys from Sabbath didn't have that vibe in mind when they wrote the song and would be a bit put off if I told them I liked it more than their version!

lincolnic

Quote from: davent on June 28, 2014, 04:38:41 PM
Rest assured my tongue has been buried firmly in cheek.
Take care!
dave

Dave, I was mostly just thinking out loud about the concept of "guilty pleasures", though in hindsight I can see that it looks like I was ranting at you. Apologies! I think you're rad and I hope we're cool.

davent

No problem at all, i sometimes leave myself open to misinterpretation- on purpose and not, the devil on my right shoulder.

In any case, thing's always cool at Madbean's!
dave

the3secondrule

Love:
Townes

Darcy Clay (rip):

Guilty:
Shatner

Can't think of any hates right now - must try harder ;)
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

the3secondrule

also, David Kitt does a pretty amazing bunch of covers on his album, Red and Black song book:
(can't go wrong with a bit of Thin Lizzy anyway).

or the beatles (love the textural guitar freakout that builds over the last 2/3rds of the song)

His cover of toot's and the maytals "pressure drop" is pretty special too. I haven't actually listened to this in an age, which is why i got all excited and posted a bunch of vids :p
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

twin1965

Love: "One" by Johnny Cash.
Hate: Alexandra Burke "Hallelujah"
Guilty Pleasure: Arctic monkeys "Love Machine" (Girls aloud)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2