Main Menu

Love, Hate, Guilty Pleasure...covers

Started by flanagan0718, June 25, 2014, 02:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

One of my fav records and they do great covers:

flanagan0718

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 26, 2014, 02:06:52 PM
Yeah, New Found Glory seem to love the oddball covers, didn't they cover Everything I Do I Do It For You by Bryan Adams?
Yeah that was in the early days.

sonarchotic

Since a Neil Young cover was mentioned here's a pretty great cover of a Neil Young song. Low and Dirty Three doing 'Down By The River'

As far as hated covers go the list is long and I'd rather not think of them and I can't think of any guilty pleasure covers at the moment.

Stomptown

I absolutely Love Ryan Adams take Oasis's Wonderwall

Cannot Stand what Willie and Waylon did to one of my all time favorite songs, Panch and Lefty,by Townes VanZandt. Just awful...

Here is one of many Townes VanZand Versions for comparison:

My Guilty pleasure: would be Cake's rendition of Black Sabbath's war pigs.

davent

I haven't gone back to the originals but i really enjoy Steve Earle's cover album "Townes".

And Cake as a guilty pleasure, has to be...

War Pigs is shakin', was missing the trumpet but we got it, didn't let me down.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lincolnic

I'm not huge on covers, but I unabashedly love this:

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 25, 2014, 03:29:11 PM
Chris Daughtry - despite the fact I can't stand his latest disc, he's got a real knack for covers

I used to like the original, until it got thrashed to death after that bloody Cadbury ad.

My favourite part is the moody first section. The drums ruin it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

+1 for Life on Mars. Great, great soundtrack.

From the 'Ladies sing Dylan' category:

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GermanCdn

Quote from: lincolnic on June 27, 2014, 05:07:24 AM
I'm not huge on covers, but I unabashedly love this:

That is some funny stuff.  I like how late 80s/early 90s rap makes for good covers, Mama Said Knock You Out, Fight the Power, etc., etc.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Bufferz

affiliations: TFX

jkokura

Here's a guy who did surprise me with his versions compared to the originals. I like them both. It's interesting that the meanings of songs sometimes become a little more apparent, or real, when the song is covered in another style.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RobA

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 25, 2014, 03:29:11 PM
One I Love - Little Wing by SRV.  He typically did a really good job with Hendrix stuff, but this is my favourite, because he's manages to capture the beautiful essence of the song without needing vocals.

I totally agree about the SRV cover of Little Wing. It helps that it's a great song to begin with. I really like Sting's version too. The transition from Bullock's guitar solo to Branford's sax solo is beautiful.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Not sure this counts as a cover, but it's close enough to the idea for me. The Jim Hall version of the Concierto De Aranjuez is one of my favorite things ever,

Not exactly a guilty pleasure kind of thing, more of a weird pleasure I guess, Rasputina's cover of Wish You Were Here,

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jtn191

So many youtube links here haha...
Here's some covers I like

Charles Bradley covering Neil Young. Dat high hat, those horns. This was made for CB

Built to Spill covering Neil Young

Charles Bradley covering Black Sabbath. I've never listened to Sabbath much but this is devastating

Amy Winehouse covering Zutons(?). My favorite of hers

Superchunk covering Destiny Child's Say My Name. Indie/punk covering 90s R&B