News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strymon's AMA on Reddit -- for those who missed it

Started by midwayfair, June 25, 2014, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/28zl8u/we_are_strymon_designers_and_builders_of_effects/

There are some typical market-y answers, but also some really interesting technical ones, too. The whole team was involved, so you get a broad swath. It's worth a look even if it's not on the level of the AskScience AMAs.

jubal81

Interesting to read that the software imitates the construction of BBD chips. I never thought it'd be done that way.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

Quote from: jubal81 on June 25, 2014, 02:33:02 PM
Interesting to read that the software imitates the construction of BBD chips. I never thought it'd be done that way.

BBD chips work a lot like volatile linear memory chips -- RAM is almost identical in its function, if you can imagine the bucket brigade's "refresh" rate being set by the delay pot, working in the range of a couple Hz at most instead of the GHz range. Once I figured that out, it made a lot less sense to me to refer to a BBD as an "analog" delay ... especially given that the clock is also a digital signal. The line between digital and analog with solid state components is in some ways just a matter of how close to the basic function you get. After all, a transistor is just flipping on (1) and off (0).

Leevibe