News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD (need a chiropractor and febreeze edition)

Started by GermanCdn, June 23, 2014, 07:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

So I was in Toronto a couple of weeks back on business, and managed to wrap everything up early so I went out guitar shopping.  This is a fairly regular occurrence, to the point where I carry a Cruztools tool kit in my overnight bag so I can take apart a bolt on neck guitar and stick it in my suitcase if required.  Usually bring home a guitar or some pedals, but never an amp.

Til now.

Checked out a bunch of places, nothing that really interested me, went into the L&M in Brampton, almost bought a Nitefly, but it really didn't pull me.  Then, in the corner, I see what appears to be a 4X10 combo.  On closer inspection, it's a Traynor YCV80Q with four 10" British made Celestions in the cabinet.  And they want $280 for it.

Fire it up, it works (think same size as a Fender Super Reverb 4X10, similar clean channel, wayyy different dirty channel), and it weights 80 lbs.  No way I'm getting this on a plane.  So, figure I'll try and get the store to ship it to me, since I'm not going to try and find a courier to take it (and by then, it will be way more than I want to pay anyway).  Turns out, for a 5% stock transfer fee, they'll sell it to my local store and I can pick it up there in a week.  Which is a win win, cause there's a 10% provincial sales tax in Ontario, and there's zero in the province I live in, so I'm actually saving 5%. 

Arrived today, pics below, including a pic with most of the rest of the family.

So here's the funny thing - clean channel is what you'd expect, glassy to growl, but the dirty channel is full on metal, complete with a mid scoop.  Put a hot bucker in front of it, and it's full on Cowboys from Hell/Vulgar Display, which totally was not expecting.  Even my Custom 100 doesn't sound like that.

Only problem with it - it reeks of cigarettes, which no matter where I put it in the house Bon is going to smell.  Bathing all the carpet in Febreeze.

Enjoy

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

muddyfox

Man, I just LOVE your mancave... I may not know what to do with half of the things in there but it's certainly something I'd like to replicate some day.

Govmnt_Lacky

jtn191

That's insane!! I'm like 1/2 or a1/4 of the way there and I'm like "maybe this is out of control..."

anywhoo, that's a sweet mancave

GermanCdn

Quote from: muddyfox on June 23, 2014, 07:43:42 PM

Man, I just LOVE your mancave... I may not know what to do with half of the things in there but it's certainly something I'd like to replicate some day.
Thanks.  That's the amp corner of the mancave.  Opposite to it is the build/repair stations.  Guitar collection is in a separate room.  Designing a new house with a 20' X 30' soundproofed mancave.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 23, 2014, 07:45:27 PM
DUDE!!!! You have an addiction...  ???  8)

Quote from: jtn191 on June 23, 2014, 09:01:56 PM
That's insane!! I'm like 1/2 or a1/4 of the way there and I'm like "maybe this is out of control..."

anywhoo, that's a sweet mancave

Just try not to think about it.  It's easier that way.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

haveyouseenhim

I almost thought that was a picture of it still in the store :o
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

Muadzin

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 23, 2014, 07:22:26 PM

I thought I was bad but, you, good sir, are truly hardcore! I bow my head to your dedication. Never let anyone tell you you are crazy or need to tone it down. This kind of insanity when carried out consistently becomes cool again in its right.