News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3Q

Started by chuckbuick, June 20, 2014, 02:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckbuick

Hey all!  Seems like it's been forever since I finished a build so I am way happy to get this one boxed.  It's a ROG Mr. EQ that I did up a little layout for.  I assembled and tested the board over a month ago and then forgot the orientation of the switches so those are all in upside down.  But at least I f'd them all up in the same direction.  And I just don't feel like tearing it apart to fix it.  The LED is a little dim, too.  I normally use clear LED's and 10K is my standard CLR value for those.  I decided to use a diffused green one on this build and forgot to lower the value.  But all-in-all I'm happy with the little guy. 

Neat circuit without too dramatic boosts/cut.  Another big thumbs up for the folks at runoffgroove.com

wgc

Mark-  beautiful as always!  I was wondering what you've been up to...
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

Chuck, you, PD, and wgc do scary-good SMD stuff!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Very nice, Mark.

Your SMT soldering has always been good, but your layouts are getting better.  Your internal wiring is really nice, too.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

derevaun

whoah, sweet! i especially like how the silkscreen is so nicely labeled.

chuckbuick

Quote from: wgc on June 20, 2014, 03:48:51 AM
Mark-  beautiful as always!  I was wondering what you've been up to...
Thanks Billy.  I've had a few other things consuming my time and money lately.  Feels good to be back on the pedal horse.

Quote from: alanp on June 20, 2014, 03:51:55 AM
Chuck, you, PD, and wgc do scary-good SMD stuff!

Thanks Alan.  Those dudes are doing some killer SMD stuff.

Quote from: pickdropper on June 20, 2014, 04:36:24 AM
Very nice, Mark.

Your SMT soldering has always been good, but your layouts are getting better.  Your internal wiring is really nice, too.
Thanks Dave.  I'm finding the key for my layouts is having fun with them.  I can't imagine doing them if they weren't fun.  It would just be a lot of hard work.  Your help and advice early on has been huge, too.  If it weren't for you they would be cluttered with big, ugly electro caps ;)

Quote from: derevaun on June 20, 2014, 05:46:37 AM
whoah, sweet! i especially like how the silkscreen is so nicely labeled.
Thanks.  I have spent a lot of time tweaking all the component silkscreens.  So much so that as much as I'd like to try some of the other PCB design software available, I just can't bring myself to do it all over again.

wgc

Thanks for the kind words you guys. If it wasn't for Mark and Dave, I'd still be clipping leads wishing there was a way to do smd.  Not trying to convert anyone, but it's a good skill to have and you just might like it.

Great stuff and totally agree about making it fun. Diptrace was super quick to pick up, component editing is a little unclear sometimes but Brian's library and spark fun library has most of what I need.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

muddyfox

Quote from: chuckbuick on June 20, 2014, 06:08:07 AM
If it weren't for you they would be cluttered with big, ugly electro caps ;)

What is this sorcery you speak of?  No smd electros? ;D

But seriously... how do you properly substitute other caps of higher value? Tants?

pickdropper

Quote from: muddyfox on June 25, 2014, 01:24:50 PM
Quote from: chuckbuick on June 20, 2014, 06:08:07 AM
If it weren't for you they would be cluttered with big, ugly electro caps ;)

What is this sorcery you speak of?  No smd electros? ;D

But seriously... how do you properly substitute other caps of higher value? Tants?

SMT Tants > SMT Electros.

IMHO, of course.
Function f(x)

jubal81

Moar capacitance with smaller caps - I've been meaning to experiment with capacitance multipliers.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

muddyfox

Yeah, I've hit this smd tant stumbling block back during the f(x) fundraiser. Without access to Mouser, tants are pretty much unobtanium to me. Whatever I could find on ebay was either ridiculously expensive, ridiculously large (D/X) or missing values.
On the other hand, smd electros are a dime a dozen and readily available anywhere, chinese make some nice value kits and all that at the expense of them being obscenely large and sometimes wildly out of spec.
Right now, unless someone can hook me up with some decently priced tants, I'm gonna ride the electro wagon and suck it up.

pickdropper

I don't think there are any tants at all on the ffx fundraiser board.  There was an issue with the 47uF ceramic, but Brian included those with all overseas shipments.

Did you not get yours? 
Function f(x)

m-Kresol

I really like this build. really well done inside and out. I should try some SMD again :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

juansolo

You have to me some sort of magni-eyed, tiny-handed freak!  :o

Impressive as always!  ;D
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

muddyfox

Quote from: pickdropper on June 25, 2014, 03:59:24 PM
I don't think there are any tants at all on the ffx fundraiser board.  There was an issue with the 47uF ceramic, but Brian included those with all overseas shipments.

Did you not get yours?

Yeah, sorry, lapsus memoriae... it was that big ceramic and I did get mine (both in the package and that part groupbuy) but it's just more of the same, really. Parts that barely exist outside of Mouser world and that are highly inaccessible to me.
I'll look around ebay again but the situation couldn't have improved much...