News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jeez this thing is kind of cool

Started by pryde, June 19, 2014, 05:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Now that they have been shipping for a little bit, did anyone here get one? I am really interested in this but want to hear a bot more on it.

Cody

GermanCdn

Mine shipped this morning, hopefully be here early next week. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

cooder

Any word on how you like it yet, Curtis? Keen to hear your opinion... (I guess you're still thinking which guitar to pick to give it a try... days later... ;)).
BigNoise Amplification

GermanCdn

Got it yesterday, here's the rundown

Good

It's pretty cool.  Useable sounds right out of the box.   Out of the 9 models, I'd say I'm pretty happy with 6 of them, so that's pretty good

It tracks like a standard guitar pedal, very little lag, if you bend a note, it bends a note.

It is fairly touch sensitive, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your playing style. 

It responds to different pickups differently.  Best sounds I've got out of it are from PAF style humbuckers, SC are a little too weak, and I wouldn't want to distort the front end with ceramics.

The Bad

It's a 50/50 pedal.  50% of the audience would be convinced there was some sort of organ involved from 50 feet away.  Back in the mix it would be fine, which is what I intend to use it for.

The Ugly

There's a faint audible whine when it's bypassed, not overly noticeable on it's own, but if you have a compressor running after it, you hear it.  If you were to have it on your board, I'd recommend putting a true bypass box on it.

The Verdict

If you get a chance, try before you buy.  Given that they are hard to find, this might not be possible, but it's not a cheap enough pedal where I'd say go for it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

cooder

Cheers for that great review... makes me think...
I'm worried about that audible whine in the chain... that doesn't sit well for me.
Might have to consider doing the suggested true bypass thing somehow. Thinking about the space on board...
BigNoise Amplification

selfdestroyer

Thanks Curtis for taking the time for the review. I think I may still grab one from Sweetwater. They should be back in stock next week. I really want to use it for more ambient style stuff wet with reverb. When I had my Pog I always seemed to dial it in to the organ sound and leave it there. I sold the Pog years ago and was looking for something like the B9. Not as a organ player replacement but more as a lush pad on a keyboard replacement.

The wine issue does sound no fun.. were you using the power supply that came with it? I notice with a Holy Grail I have that it will wine on my onespot. Just a thought.

Cody

GermanCdn

Full disclosure - I had the B9 daisy chained off a 1 spot when I was testing it, I didn't try it with it's own power supply.

It sounds pretty could with effects.  I was running it a little dirty with a Micro Vibe and a Vapour Trails in the FX loop.  Awesomesauce.

In a band setting, it's probably fine.  On a recording as a non dominant instrument it's probably fine.  When you're sitting there just playing it, it's OK.  Only reason I said try before buying is it's a $200+ pedal.

Mich P

Thanks for the report Curtis.
Mich P.

cooder

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 22, 2014, 08:40:10 PM
Full disclosure - I had the B9 daisy chained off a 1 spot when I was testing it, I didn't try it with it's own power supply.

It sounds pretty could with effects.  I was running it a little dirty with a Micro Vibe and a Vapour Trails in the FX loop.  Awesomesauce.

In a band setting, it's probably fine.  On a recording as a non dominant instrument it's probably fine.  When you're sitting there just playing it, it's OK.  Only reason I said try before buying is it's a $200+ pedal.
Cheers again. I had whine issues with some pedals when powered by a one spot... so maybe this is another one of those cases...? I might get one if I can get somewhat of an acceptable deal with shipping to NZ... sigh...
BigNoise Amplification