News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Op-Amp Big Muff / reverse graphics

Started by lars, June 18, 2014, 11:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

Finally got around to doing something with that awesome Big Muff enclosure made by DavidGiandiletti. These enclosures really are top notch, and I'm sure they would make someone do a double-take before dismissing it as a clone. The great thing about building pedals is that you can make versions that never existed. My favorite Big Muff version is the op-amp version 4, but I liked the reverse graphics EHX used during the early 80's. So here is a combination of the two:

jubal81

That is outstanding! Really has a NOS look.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Scruffie

Not often a build actually makes me jealous I don't own it :D
Works at Lectric-FX

peAk

awesome man

Can you tell me where you got the knobs?

I did something similar with the electric mistress and the Davies 1400 seem small on mine

Haberdasher

man that looks awesome
i'm jonesing for one of those enclosures
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

lincolnic

Did you design that layout? I love the wavy traces.

alanp

Quote from: lincolnic on June 19, 2014, 04:38:13 AM
Did you design that layout? I love the wavy traces.

+1, using the old brown board material would have had me saying, "Build report? It looks like he gave an IC Muff a damn good cleaning to me..."

Very, very impressive work!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

To answer about the knobs, the volume pot and knob are actually from a circa 2002 NYC Big Muff, the other two knobs I purchased from small bear here:  http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=150. I just scratched off the white indicator lines to give them a vintage look. The circuit trace is an exact trace of a V4 op-amp muff that I found on DIY stompboxes. I think the trace is also on Aron Nelson's site. There was an error on the ground connection for the 4558, which may be why that trace didn't take off. With a slight mod though, it works perfect.
Now if only I could find a white foam 9v battery holder to finish the look....

pickdropper

Very classy build.  It sure does have the vibe of the real thing.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Wow! Being in a EHX madness lately.... you get me by the feelings.

Beautiful work! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Hexjibber

selfdestroyer

Pure Money!.. looks so awesome. There is just something about the big box EHX pedals that make me smile. You nailed it.

Cody