News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What version of Eagle are you guys using?

Started by sdlogan9, June 16, 2014, 01:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlogan9

Hey Guys

I am looking at purchasing Eagle..  What do you guys recommend I get?  EAGLE Hobbyist, EAGLE Light,  EAGLE Standard( Which seems a bit pricy )..  I am looking to build my own PCB's for personal use and possibly sell some of them if I get good at making them:)  Although mainly for my personal use.

Peace
Shane

alanp

I use Eagle Light (chiefly because I am a cheap bugger and it is free.) Working around the 80x100 limitation forces you to think carefully about layout -- the Heavy Water phaser I posted yesterday is a good example of the limitations of Light edition. I'd have preferred to have done it in two boards (control and signal), but had to work around the size limitations.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

sdlogan9

I did not find where Eagle Light was free..  I actually ended up having to pay for it ( 69.00 )  I figured it was a really nice program,  and I thought this was more than a fair price.  The standard version was a bit pricy for me though :)  ( $ 800.00+ )  Ouch!!!!

-Shane

culturejam

Yes, there is a freeware version of the Lite edition. I eventually ponied up for the license since I used it regularly to make money.

The licensing is kinda screwy, in my view. There is actually ZERO advantage to paying for the Lite edition. Paying gets you nothing that can't be done with the freeware version (other than a clean conscience, I suppose). The best license for us would be the Hobbyist, which has up to 6 layers and a much larger max board dimension...but you can't use it for commercial stuff. Getting Eagle Standard with no autorouter (actually less powerful than the Hobbyist edition) is $615. Totally stupid.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!