News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First order from PPP....

Started by peAk, June 09, 2014, 02:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Placed my first order with Pedal Parts Plus.....

$13.00 shipping  :o

wasn't ready for that one

flanagan0718

Yeah, that's the only thing that usually stops me from using them. The shipping is way too expensive. They really should use USPS. they would get a lot more of my business.

Bret608

I've had them charge me that much before but then refund me back like half of it after the order actually shipped. That was with the USPS option for what it's worth...

GermanCdn

Imagine what it's like when you don't live in the US.....I usually bank on 33% of the order value. :'(

In fairness, they will also refund you afterwards if they overcharge, it's happened to me on every order.

Still the best enclosures out there by far.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

davent

I've only used them once for an order to Canada but was pleasantly surprised at how low the shipping cost was. The shipping option they recommended was bloody expensive so went with the cheap not-recommended option and it was smooth, cheap sailing.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

flanagan0718

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 09, 2014, 02:54:22 PM
Imagine what it's like when you don't live in the US.....I usually bank on 33% of the order value. :'(

In fairness, they will also refund you afterwards if they overcharge, it's happened to me on every order.

+1 on this. Their enclosures are great!

peAk

My order literally had one enclosure, 10 transistors, and some washers.

I almost canceled it but I needed a 1590BB "Tall" which PPP calls 1690, Mammoth calls 1590BBT.....

I have had enclosures from Mammoth that chipped so I went with PPP.

In the future, anywhere else where you can get "tall" 1590BB?

peAk

on a side note, I went to drill my enclosure for my Flying Pan (Soaring Skillet) and thought I could get away with a 1590BB even though BYOC shows it with a tall 1590BB.

Anyway, finished drilling everything and realized that my pots on won't allow for my front i/o jacks.

So frustrating. One of those moments where I felt so damn stupid.

davent

How tall is tall? "BBS" is slightly taller and the "C" much taller and a little bigger (just a smidgen because of the sloped sides) in the other dimensions. Big guys like Mouser and such should have those.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg.htm
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GermanCdn

The tall 1590BB are also called 125BBs.  Not that that opens up a whole lot more options for you in terms of supply, but it's another reference point nonetheless.

And yes, messing up enclosures is a PITA.  I almost always build one size up now just to make it so I don't have to be ultra precise.  That, and I hate side mounted power jacks.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

muddyfox

i always topmounted the powerjacks until i got a handful of Joshs 3pdt boards with that side power jack hole. for better or worse, now its all i use

Mich P

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 09, 2014, 02:54:22 PM

Same story here,
Mich P.

peAk

Quote from: davent on June 09, 2014, 03:12:00 PM
How tall is tall? "BBS" is slightly taller and the "C" much taller and a little bigger (just a smidgen because of the sloped sides) in the other dimensions. Big guys like Mouser and such should have those.

Yeah, I am not even sure which one the "tall" falls into

PPP listed the dimensions as 4.70" X 3.70" X 2.22" for their 1690

Mammoth listed their 1590BBT 4.67" x 3.68" x 1.95"

All I know is I needed something taller to have some space for the i/o to sit under the pots.

I couldn't find taller 1590 at Mouser. I tried 125BB and didn't get anything either.

midwayfair

Quote from: flanagan0718 on June 09, 2014, 02:50:54 PM
Yeah, that's the only thing that usually stops me from using them. The shipping is way too expensive. They really should use USPS. they would get a lot more of my business.

They do use USPS. There's a dropdown menu for shipping options. FWIW, enclosures easily get over the 1lb limit for first class, and then you're in priority where it's determined by weight. Their site estimates weight. Sometimes it's wrong and they might reimburse you.

Peak, I just put a 125BB, 10 transistors, and 10 washers in my cart. The shipping options included first class for $5, and priority for $7.10. UPS was $13. I'm not sure what shipping option you chose, but even if the exact package you put together was a little heavier, shipping shouldn't have even been $10.

davent

Quote from: peAk on June 09, 2014, 04:49:21 PM
Quote from: davent on June 09, 2014, 03:12:00 PM

Yeah, I am not even sure which one the "tall" falls into

PPP listed the dimensions as 4.70" X 3.70" X 2.22" for their 1690

Mammoth listed their 1590BBT 4.67" x 3.68" x 1.95"

All I know is I needed something taller to have some space for the i/o to sit under the pots.

I couldn't find taller 1590 at Mouser. I tried 125BB and didn't get anything either.

I primarily use Digikey, great for me in Canada but i know Mouser is handy for you so mentioned them.

Use the search engine Octopart, it goes through the inventory of a slew of big suppliers to find your part number. Surprised to see Mouser doesn't have the "c" (close to the dimensions you listed) but Digikey does as well as a few others.

http://octopart.com/partsearch#!?q=1590c

Mouser does have the "BBs" though.

http://octopart.com/partsearch#!?q=1590bbs&start=0&limit=10

dave