Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First order from PPP....

Started by peAk, June 09, 2014, 02:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Quote from: midwayfair on June 09, 2014, 05:10:04 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on June 09, 2014, 02:50:54 PM
Yeah, that's the only thing that usually stops me from using them. The shipping is way too expensive. They really should use USPS. they would get a lot more of my business.

They do use USPS. There's a dropdown menu for shipping options. FWIW, enclosures easily get over the 1lb limit for first class, and then you're in priority where it's determined by weight. Their site estimates weight. Sometimes it's wrong and they might reimburse you.

Peak, I just put a 125BB, 10 transistors, and 10 washers in my cart. The shipping options included first class for $5, and priority for $7.10. UPS was $13. I'm not sure what shipping option you chose, but even if the exact package you put together was a little heavier, shipping shouldn't have even been $10.

The default shipping that came up was USPS Priority which was showing a crazy amount of $27, so I went with the lesser price of UPS ground that was $13.04.

Maybe the priority would have ended up cheaper but there was no way I was going to take a chance on $27 shipping on an order that probably weighed a pound at most.

peAk

Quote from: davent on June 09, 2014, 05:17:20 PM
Use the search engine Octopart, it goes through the inventory of a slew of big suppliers to find your part number. Surprised to see Mouser doesn't have the "c" (close to the dimensions you listed) but Digikey does as well as a few others.

http://octopart.com/partsearch#!?q=1590c

Mouser does have the "BBs" though.

http://octopart.com/partsearch#!?q=1590bbs&start=0&limit=10

dave

Thanks Dave, bookmarked Octopart!

midwayfair

Quote from: peAk on June 09, 2014, 05:50:49 PM
Yeah, that's the only thing that usually stops me from using them. The shipping is way too expensive. They really should use USPS. they would get a lot more of my business.

They do use USPS. There's a dropdown menu for shipping options. FWIW, enclosures easily get over the 1lb limit for first class, and then you're in priority where it's determined by weight. Their site estimates weight. Sometimes it's wrong and they might reimburse you.

Peak, I just put a 125BB, 10 transistors, and 10 washers in my cart. The shipping options included first class for $5, and priority for $7.10. UPS was $13. I'm not sure what shipping option you chose, but even if the exact package you put together was a little heavier, shipping shouldn't have even been $10.

The default shipping that came up was USPS Priority which was showing a crazy amount of $27, so I went with the lesser price of UPS ground that was $13.04.

Maybe the priority would have ended up cheaper but there was no way I was going to take a chance on $27 shipping on an order that probably weighed a pound at most.

Priority 1-day or whatever it is comes up as $27 with that cart. I think you need to populate the same cart and recheck the shipping charges for next time. Regular priority and first class are right below the first option. I have to put at least three enclosures in my cart before UPS at $13 is the cheapest shipping option.

pickdropper

Where are the enclosures shipping to?  If UPS is the shipper, the destination zip code makes a significant difference.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

peAk

Quote from: midwayfair on June 09, 2014, 06:38:19 PM
Quote from: peAk on June 09, 2014, 05:50:49 PM

Priority 1-day or whatever it is comes up as $27 with that cart. I think you need to populate the same cart and recheck the shipping charges for next time. Regular priority and first class are right below the first option. I have to put at least three enclosures in my cart before UPS at $13 is the cheapest shipping option.

Okay, well that's good to know. I was doing it through my phone so maybe I missed some other options. Our company's filter blocks the checkout portion of PPP website so I had to do it on my phone.

I have been happy with my painted enclosures from Mouser (limited colors) and Smallbear (also somewhat limited) so I wanted to give PPP a shot since you guys like them a lot.

m-Kresol

I haven't used PPP yet, but just placed my first order with Lawrence from BLMS. Shipping was 16$ to Austria, that's half the price of my order. It's still a little cheaper though :)
I just don't get the shipping costs generally. Germany-Austria: 8,50€ non-tracked, 16€ tracked; US-Austria: 16.5$; Singapore-Austria: 4$ tracked!?!? makes no sense to me what so ever...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

Next PPP order I'll have to pay attention to what the shipping actually says.

peAk

Quote from: pickdropper on June 09, 2014, 06:59:35 PM
Where are the enclosures shipping to?  If UPS is the shipper, the destination zip code makes a significant difference.

Looks like they are in Lousiana and I am in Texas.....so at least the shipping will probably be like 1 day or so.

So I will just imagine that I am paying next day air fees  :P

pickdropper

Quote from: peAk on June 09, 2014, 08:00:18 PM

Looks like they are in Lousiana and I am in Texas.....so at least the shipping will probably be like 1 day or so.

Yeah, and I think Jon is farther away, so it's really odd that his shipping estimate would be lower.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

peAk

Quote from: pickdropper on June 09, 2014, 08:01:32 PM

Quote from: peAk on June 09, 2014, 08:00:18 PM

Yeah, and I think Jon is farther away, so it's really odd that his shipping estimate would be lower.

I think Jon said UPS for $13 for him as well.

GermanCdn

Quote from: m-Kresol on June 09, 2014, 07:28:54 PM
I haven't used PPP yet, but just placed my first order with Lawrence from BLMS. Shipping was 16$ to Austria, that's half the price of my order. It's still a little cheaper though :)
I just don't get the shipping costs generally. Germany-Austria: 8,50€ non-tracked, 16€ tracked; US-Austria: 16.5$; Singapore-Austria: 4$ tracked!?!? makes no sense to me what so ever...

The key is not to think about it.  If I actually put my mind to figuring out why I can order a 24" X 16" X 5" box of stuff from Tayda for less than I can ship a pedal across the city in which I live, I think my brain would explode.....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

davent

Not too long ago I did a little quest with the Canada Post's online shipping calculator, same package sent to my old address a few blocks away and sent to an address i've used in Pennsylvania hundreds of miles away,  an international delivery. Cheapest option available was for delivery to the address in Pennsylvania.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Muadzin

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 09, 2014, 09:36:23 PM
Quote from: m-Kresol on June 09, 2014, 07:28:54 PM

The key is not to think about it.  If I actually put my mind to figuring out why I can order a 24" X 16" X 5" box of stuff from Tayda for less than I can ship a pedal across the city in which I live, I think my brain would explode.....

Cheapo countries have cheapo shipping? Methinks that when you don't have to pay Western wages, social security and pension benefits to your employees, keep up shareholder values to your stock owners and make out a huge ass bonus to your Exec then yeah, shipping costs could be a lot lower.

wgc

I've also found the shipping to be high, nice stuff though, but glad I can powdercoat.  Oddly the shipping on powder is high too.

Peak, you might be able to salvage your enclosure by using smaller jacks and 9mm pots? 
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

peAk

Quote from: wgc on June 10, 2014, 01:00:15 PM
I've also found the shipping to be high, nice stuff though, but glad I can powdercoat.  Oddly the shipping on powder is high too.

Peak, you might be able to salvage your enclosure by using smaller jacks and 9mm pots?

yeah, not sure. I can post a pic later and see if anyone has any ideas for that or possibly another effect that can use the swiss cheese enclosure I have made. The other problem is that the front of the pedal has three i/o jacks (stereo effect) and a 9volt plug. I guess I could stick a switch there or something. Whole thing was kind of a bummer because the enclosure has a cool, textured finish.

I will definitely post a pic later and see what ideas people have.