News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fender Mustangs

Started by HailToTheBlues, June 08, 2014, 12:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
I was thinking of getting a Mustang V because i read so many reviews claiming that it is a wonderfull amp, and that it sounds just like many fender vintage amps. So i would like to know if any of you had experience with it? I was particularly interested in the Bassman model. If it did a good job modelling it, i would have a bassman for less than 400 hundred dollars. Well, opened for suggestions.

Best Regards

HailToTheBlues

So does anyone have an opinion about the mustang?

HailToTheBlues

So does anyone have an opinion about the mustang?

GammaFlex

It's.... not a Bassman that's for sure.

The biggest issue you'll find with it is the fact that the effects are extremely gimmicky and it has quite a "solid state" vibe to it. Very little dynamics in terms of playing styles, all the amp settings are really close to one another and don't do much to really vary.

If you want a fender I'd suggest you try to find an old Champion 5w tubey and put some good pedals in front of it, heck you can sometimes find old Vibro Champs for not a bad price, you'll be thankful that you skipped the mustangs, they're beginners amps and are designed for bedroom use and for people who like "presets".

I've seen too many of them have problems with the processor/power amp/speakers/everything to feel good about purchasing one, just not my thing.

jtn191

^yeah I'm not a huge fan of modeling amps. If it were me, I'd go for Traynor, Palmer (eins), old Ampegs, Bassman clones, etc. The chinese-made Belcat amps actually sound pretty good too

GermanCdn

Yeah, they're a 50/50 amp as far as I can tell.  50% of the people 50 feet away from the amp will think it sounds OK.

If you're looking for a more affordable Fender variant, used Traynor's are a good way to go (in North America at least, don't remember if their distribution goes much beyond that).  Picked up a YCVQ-80 (a 4X10 combo very similar to a Super Reverb) for a ridiculous price last week (in fact, I haven't paid more than $350 for any of my used Traynors, excellent VFM).

Alternatively, the older Vox Valvetronix units do a decent job of emulation, and they can be picked up for real cheap as well.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

It's $300 and doesn't include a cab -- a 4x10 isn't cheap. If you're patient, you can get a real bassman RI combo for under $800 used, and it will be MANY times the amp.

The Traynor suggestion is good. I think the Ampeg suggestion is even better, though.

Quote from: GammaFlex on June 17, 2014, 04:43:49 PM
It's.... not a Bassman that's for sure.

If you want a fender I'd suggest you try to find an old Champion 5w tubey

... The champion is a 5W, 6V6, 6" speaker (that needs to be replaced), and a hardwired silverface tone stack ... there's no planet on which it'll sound anything like a bassman, even with modification. There are several other amps (Hot Rod Deluxe, or even better the Hot Rod Deville) that will at least have the big amp sound that are far better choices if he can't get a bassman.

HailToTheBlues

Thanks for the replies! I'll check those amps you told me.
So for a good bassman sound, what would be the best option? I'm searching for an hendrix vibe, maybe that catfish tone would be a good example, and i read he used bassmans to get his tone. I know he used marshalls as well, but i think fenders are more versatile.

midwayfair

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on June 17, 2014, 06:45:12 PMi read he used bassmans to get his tone. I know he used marshalls as well, but i think fenders are more versatile.

Hendrix used tons of gear, and knowing what he used in any given recording session is nearly impossible. Live he most often used Marshalls based on many photographs.

An early Marshall is a Tweed Bassman built with British parts. And getting a tweed Fender, or an early Marshall repro, is going to be much, much more expensive, but if you want to get into modding amps, you can at least get a bit more tweed flavor with some tone stack modifications.

My advice is that you should focus on getting an amp you think sounds good, not focus on reproducing a sound based on spurious internet information. Go to the guitar store and try out several amps. Make a note of what you like. Use pedals in front of them. Make a note of what works and doesn't work. Try everything, solid state, tube, etc. Many classic recordings were made with solid state amps, so just because many people like tubes doesn't mean that you will.

HailToTheBlues

I'm not trying to replicate his tone, i'm just using his tone as a starting point for my own. That's why i asked for an amp that sounded like hendrix (although i know his fingers are not for sale :p), but i can change my question for, what would be a good choice for an amp? I can try several amps, and almost sure i will, but it would be cool to have some amps to look for.

jtn191

I'd also look into 18w amps, organ amp conversions, broken amps (if you feel like you can fix 'em). There's some great deals out there to be found. I only recommend shying away from modeling amps because I know I'd regret it later. Yeah some solid state stuff is good...I worked a gig with a great player using a Roland Jazz Chorus--and I probably won't be selling my Vox Pathfinder 15 soon...As far as budget and wattage, that's up to you and your situation/needs...imo anything over than ~20-30 watts has gone out of style since there's PA systems and mics everywhere. SS stuff can be great for practicing with headphones but can lose some of the dynamic feel of a tube circuit.

alanp

I heard somewhere that the JTM45/100 was the Band of Gypsies amp. Plus Malcolm Young uses it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GermanCdn

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on June 17, 2014, 08:16:26 PM
I'm not trying to replicate his tone, i'm just using his tone as a starting point for my own. That's why i asked for an amp that sounded like hendrix (although i know his fingers are not for sale :p), but i can change my question for, what would be a good choice for an amp? I can try several amps, and almost sure i will, but it would be cool to have some amps to look for.

If you're looking to stay in the $400 range and you want something with Brit/US tones, the general goto amp around here for that is the Egnater Tweaker.  Works well with pedals, gives you vintage-y and more modern sounds for Marshall/Vox/Fender, has an effects loop, great VFM.

The Traynor YGL-1 (a 1X12 version of the Ironhorse w/reverb) is nice as well, a little more pricey.

Make sure (as I'm sure you will) that you take your own guitar(s) when test driving the amps.  Take a couple of your fave pedals too (though don't smoke the front end of the amp - that generally frowned upon).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 17, 2014, 09:17:23 PM
Quote from: HailToTheBlues on June 17, 2014, 08:16:26 PM

If you're looking to stay in the $400 range and you want something with Brit/US tones, the general goto amp around here for that is the Egnater Tweaker.  Works well with pedals, gives you vintage-y and more modern sounds for Marshall/Vox/Fender, has an effects loop, great VFM.

Do you mean the 15w head model?

GermanCdn

15W head or the 1X12 combo, you can usually pick them up used for under $400.