News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bridge/Trem block suggestions

Started by midwayfair, June 06, 2014, 09:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I think I broke the trem block on the DQcaster last night. It's still fine to play (it stays in tune, and it was practically decked to begin with), but no more wammy bar shenanigans for a while.

I was thinking instead of just replacing the block (which was steel by the way!), I might replace the whole assembly. I need something that can use the same holes if possible if I replace it. Is there anything else out there, or should I stick with just replacing the block?

EDIT: Okay, I'm an absolute idiot. I only broke the ARM.

Still ... anyone have suggestions for a better type of trem bridge that slots into a vintage spot without new holes?

ddog

I heard good things about Callaham Guitars. When I get some extra cash, I'll replace my strat's entire bridge with callaham's replacement

GermanCdn

I've had pretty good success with the replacement trem units from GFS with either the solid brass or solid steel blocks (if you just buy the block, you also have to buy the arm, and I think the total price for the block + arm is pretty close to the whole unit).

They've got them for MIM spaced and US spaced, and I've got two of each.  The MIMs were easy drop in.  The one US one I put into a CIJ (same spacing at US) strat, and the block is definitely a little too tight in the cavity, so I'm going to have to do some work on that one (it's a Foto-flame, so I suspect the body is cut to the same spec dimensions as a standard strat, then the veneer + a thick poly coat to cover it makes all of the cavities just a little bit too small).  The original trem block on that one literally disintegrated in my hand when I was replacing a spring, it was an old cast piece that must have been frozen a couple of times then used cold, as it had all sorts of stress cracks.

Long story short, they're under $40 complete, and GFS runs discount sales fairly regularly where they knock another 7 - 15% off them (probably one coming up for Independence Day, they usually do that), so it's a pretty inexpensive fix.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Micpoc

+1 on the Callaham suggestion. I have one on my Strelecaster (Strat/Tele hybrid), and it's the only part other than the body that I haven't swapped out before. VERY solid and well made.

pickdropper

The Callaham machine work is great, albeit expensive.  Some folks think it sounds massively better, other folks don't (fairly common with that sort of thing).

Some folks say it is a bit bright, but my Callaham strat (which has Callaham hardware obv) is anything but bright.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

bela1961

If you just broke the arm and the hole in which the trem arm rides in isn't messed up. Just buy an arm, some are threaded and some are push in, check which one you have and look on e-bay (Chinese = cheap). If you wish to upgrade, don't go cheap, buy the whole assembly. If you do not know how to install a trem take it to someone who does, save yourself a lot of grief.

midwayfair

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 06, 2014, 10:08:28 PM
I've had pretty good success with the replacement trem units from GFS with either the solid brass or solid steel blocks (if you just buy the block, you also have to buy the arm, and I think the total price for the block + arm is pretty close to the whole unit).

They've got them for MIM spaced and US spaced, and I've got two of each.  The MIMs were easy drop in.  The one US one I put into a CIJ (same spacing at US) strat, and the block is definitely a little too tight in the cavity, so I'm going to have to do some work on that one (it's a Foto-flame, so I suspect the body is cut to the same spec dimensions as a standard strat, then the veneer + a thick poly coat to cover it makes all of the cavities just a little bit too small).  The original trem block on that one literally disintegrated in my hand when I was replacing a spring, it was an old cast piece that must have been frozen a couple of times then used cold, as it had all sorts of stress cracks.

Long story short, they're under $40 complete, and GFS runs discount sales fairly regularly where they knock another 7 - 15% off them (probably one coming up for Independence Day, they usually do that), so it's a pretty inexpensive fix.

Mine's a GFS, too. With the steel block. It's also, I think, a bit tight in the cavity ... maybe it's something common with their trem block?

lars

I recently replaced the stock trem assembly on my E series strat with a Wilkinson WV6 assembly. I would highly recommend these, they're the best value for the money. I like that each string hole is drilled at a different offset, to account for intonation and string angle; makes for very stabile tuning. The tremolo arm is press-fit, so it's much more durable, and has a solid, positive feel to the action.

slimtriggers

I have a Wilkinson VS100 on my Warmoth Strat that I've been very happy with.  I'm pretty sure it fits the standard Strat trem routing.

ian_guga

I bought trem block for my strats from a nice chap in Germany on ebay. cold rolled steel. bought 2 or 3 block from him - perfect fit and also very responsive and nice seller. 
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lefthand-Stahlblock-fur-50-60er-Classic-Player-u-Sq-ier-Classic-Vibe-cold-rolled-/271510506358?pt=Gitarren&hash=item3f37498b76
my lab loves fuzz

aballen

I have a wilkinson trem and it's great.  Not sure if it fits standard holes though. 

Haberdasher

wilkinson vsvg is a nice piece.  56mm screw spacing.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS