Guitarists who make you wanna quit.

Started by jkokura, June 05, 2014, 06:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

haveyouseenhim

This guy makes me want to tannerite my good acoustic.

Oh, and Paul Gilbert makes me want to have a 'range accident'
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

oldhousescott

Back in the stone ages (mid '80s), I went to see Phil Keaggy and band play in Atlanta. This would have been his tour off the "Underground" record. I happened to sit right behind Sonny Lallerstedt who was Pat Terry's guitarist and drummer and no slouch himself on guitar. Phil pulled off some spectacular run of technical virtuosity and Sonny just chuckled and shook his head. Yep, time to burn the guitars when a great guitarist is befuddled by an even greater one.

And then there's Allan Holdsworth. I bought his VHS (pre-Youtube days) just so I could see how he was doing what he was doing. I'd never head anything like it before or since. It came with a chord booklet. Right. I'm sorry Allan, but my fingers don't stretch over 6 or 7 frets in the middle of the fretboard.

bcalla

I've seen Tuck and Patti 5-6 times.  Tuck Andress is amazing to see in person.  He gets one solo number in each set.  I've seen him do "I Wish", "Europa", "Manha de Carnaval", "Man in the Mirror" & "Over the Rainbow".  Plus his accompaniment for Patti's vocals are jaw dropping.  He is very much worth seeing.

GermanCdn

While I don't listen to him, when I saw Jerry Donahue do a Fender showcase many, many moons ago, I was like "Time to pick up the tambourine.", even though his style of playing and my listening habits probably couldn't have been more different.  Behind the bridge bends, behind the nut bends, serious tasty chicken pickin' shred.  Had a guy playing rhythm who was clearly a local metalhead who decided he wanted to take him on in a call and answer duel.  Jerry left him in the dust with a smile on his face.

Funniest moment of the evening - when Jerry said "Who in their right mind would want to play a Peavey guitar?"  Only to become a Peavey guitar endorsee a decade later.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Here's another guy I follow on Youtube.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

atreidesheir

Quote from: bcalla on June 05, 2014, 03:03:03 PM
I've seen Tuck and Patti 5-6 times.  Tuck Andress is amazing to see in person.  He gets one solo number in each set.  I've seen him do "I Wish", "Europa", "Manha de Carnaval", "Man in the Mirror" & "Over the Rainbow".  Plus his accompaniment for Patti's vocals are jaw dropping.  He is very much worth seeing.
+1.  mind blower
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

thesameage

Quote from: atreidesheir on June 05, 2014, 04:54:56 PM
+1.  mind blower

St. Vincent is Tuck's niece and used to tour with them: Tuck Andress' niece is singer-songwriter Annie Clark, who goes under the moniker St. Vincent. As a teenager, Clark was a roadie for Tuck and Patti, and later she was an opening act for the duo.

Bret608

Quote from: thesameage on June 05, 2014, 05:24:02 PM
Quote from: atreidesheir on June 05, 2014, 04:54:56 PM
+1.  mind blower

St. Vincent is Tuck's niece and used to tour with them: Tuck Andress' niece is singer-songwriter Annie Clark, who goes under the moniker St. Vincent. As a teenager, Clark was a roadie for Tuck and Patti, and later she was an opening act for the duo.

...and she would be the #1 guitarist who makes me want to quit these days! I mean, it's not like I can't pick up one of her lines here and there and reproduce it, it's more like, how the hell did she come up with that in the first place? I also like that her playing combines poise with this kind of nervous, jittery energy.

toetap

Scotty Anderson!!!hands down is one. If you throw out gimmicks or the cool factor this guy is it. I jammed once with him for three hours. Check out Scotty yourselves and believe, I know my good friend Grammy winner Clay Hess says the same thing, Also here is what Guitar player Magazine wrote on Scotty Anderson
"It was quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever seen," Eric Johnson said of watching Cincinnati Tele ninja Scotty Anderson perform. Chet Atkins once told Anderson, "Each time I hear you play, I learn something." But Anderson must be the Stealth Bomber of guitar, because, although as dangerous as Hank Garland, Merle Travis, and Jimmy Bryant all rolled into one, he hasn't made much of a blip on radar screens. —JG

upthepunxxx

When I see stuff like this it reminds me why I got into the pedal building hobby in the first place. And thats cause I love playing guitar. Sometimes I get so caught up in building and trying to get better at that that I can go days with out picking up a guitar. It's nice to be reminded that playing was always my first love and the reason I got into pedals in the first place. thanks for this post dudes.

Quote from: jkokura on June 05, 2014, 06:52:00 AM

Jacob
Wake up and smell the noise!!

thesameage

This guy: Buddy of mine and a pro NYC guitar player: Scott Metzger:

http://youtu.be/iegfgk-VO6g

GermanCdn

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on June 05, 2014, 07:16:48 AM
This guy makes me want to tannerite my good acoustic.

Oh, and Paul Gilbert makes me want to have a 'range accident'

That was awesome.

And yes, PG is a phenomenal talent, in fact he ruined the Winery Dogs for me, if for no other reason than "Kotzen and Sheehan are great, but Gilbert and Sheehan are phenomenal."
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

junkemail86

Interesting to see mainly acoustic guitarists mentioned.

While my favorite guitarist has been Joe Satriani since I started playing, I'll nominate a couple of guys I've been listening to more recently:
1 - Mattias Eklundh.  I could never hope to play like this guy, just a very unique style in my opinion.  Great chops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pohTAIyp2yU

2 - Guthrie Govan.  So versatile. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id3DyawANmI

Willybomb