News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cat5e

Started by PhiloB, June 04, 2014, 09:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Can you use Cat5e cable to carry audio signal and power?  If not, is there 1 cable to rule them all?
Playing around with the idea with running power to a pedal board and carrying the signal to and from an effects loop (modding an amp to accept the Cat5e)

PhiloB

I've been doing some googling and apparently 24gauge Cat5e can carry up to 2.1 amps which is about what a one spot puts out.  That would leave 2 wires for audio, which would be sufficient for an effects loop.
Wire 1 - +9V
Wire 2 - Ground
Wire 3 - Send
Wire 4 - Return

stecykmi

yes you can, although it doesn't always solder the best.

both power and signal are okay. although it doesn't have huge current capacity (~0.6A) but it should work just fine.

stecykmi

i assume you plan on stripping the outer insulation and using the individual conductors.

selfdestroyer

Interesting question. My first concern would be running power with the audio signal. CAT5 cable is twisted in such a way to help with signal loss but it may also introduce noise to the audio path. This is just purely speculation and look forward to other comments.

Cody

PhiloB

So the max it could deliver would be .6 Amps?  The article I read sounded like it could carry 2 Amps.

stecykmi

Quote from: selfdestroyer on June 04, 2014, 10:30:17 PM
Interesting question. My first concern would be running power with the audio signal. CAT5 cable is twisted in such a way to help with signal loss but it may also introduce noise to the audio path. This is just purely speculation and look forward to other comments.

Cody

pedals are all DC which don't cause noise (you'll remember a changing magnetic field induces current). cat5e is actually designed to supply power and carry signal, frequently for remote equipment like network switches and security cameras.

PhiloB

May be a hair brained idea BUT:
Just picked up a VHT Special 6.  Looking at the mods others are doing.  Saw a guy put a 9v out on the back of the amp to power his pedalboard (visual one spot in the chassy).  Saw another mod of adding an effects loop.  My thought was, it'd be interesting to think through doing both with one cable.  You could have the cat5 terminate to a 1590a underneath your board and have the 1/4" jacks for the signal and DC jack for powering a small board.

stecykmi

Quote from: PhiloB on June 04, 2014, 10:32:32 PM
So the max it could deliver would be .6 Amps?  The article I read sounded like it could carry 2 Amps.

dunno, this may be the result of field testing (aka some guy running current thru a wire until it melt), which is certainly going to be much larger than the actual spec. i'm going off the wikipedia article about cat5e.

jtn191

As said before, yeah you can. I worked for an A/V company for a bit and this method is used by companies like ISP HDDS systems and Yamaha consoles (CL5). Because of lack of shielding and close proximity, these are possibly susceptible to more noise. The clear benefit is the cost and availability.

found this article:
http://www.lifeisaprayer.com/articles/audio-video/xlr-mic-level-balanced-audio-over-cat5e

selfdestroyer

Quote from: stecykmi on June 04, 2014, 10:38:03 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on June 04, 2014, 10:30:17 PM

Cody

pedals are all DC which don't cause noise (you'll remember a changing magnetic field induces current). cat5e is actually designed to supply power and carry signal, frequently for remote equipment like network switches and security cameras.

I do not know anything about DC so I guess I should have not commented on such, but I do use POE on all my APs and security cameras up to 300 feet. So I do know CAT5 is capable of carrying voltage, I just did not know how it would react with audio signal running with it. My bad.

Cody

jtn191

PhiloB,

I found that cat5 is awg-24 gauge which means each strand can handle 3.5 amps (max free air) and 2.1 amps (max enclosed)
http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity#AWG

PhiloB

I don't know if it'd be worth while.  I like the idea of a small portable amp, small pedal board and minimal wires and power plugs.  It would be cool to run audio out from the board, effects loop and pedal power all in one cable.

PhiloB

GrindCustoms

As i'm putting together a live rig with bunch of convenience and utility aspect i've come to that questionning aswell (couple weeks ago). Looking at what custom cable company offers, Lava Cable i.e. where they offer «snakes» with 110VAC in them and not having any issue (emailed them), it made that idea more concrete to me.

Than i was stroke by a lightning. PA snakes or any snakes for sound reinforcement.... Phantom Power, you'll have a line with 48VDC running along other audio signal, you have light signal (DMX) wich is basically electric pulses. Never had any problem with that after 13 years of working in that domain.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/