News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clipping Diode ID

Started by selfdestroyer, June 03, 2014, 08:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Quote from: blearyeyes on June 04, 2014, 02:45:59 AM
I got home and looked at my diodes and I have a bag of IN914s from tayda that look identical...

Thanks for looking, I guess the "70" screenprint is what's throwing me. I'm breadboarding up something tonight to mess with. I got the mosfet boost done, now on to the 808 part.

Cody

alanp

D3 and D4 look like 1N4148 to me...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on June 04, 2014, 04:39:42 AM

I think you're right. I just tried a few 1N4148s symmetrical and they do sound great. Thanks AlanP

Do you think the water clear LED may be on the Drain and Source of the mosfet clippers? I never seen LEDs in asymmetrical before but I have seen an LED with mosfets before. hmm.

Cody
Cody

GermanCdn

Quote from: alanp on June 04, 2014, 04:39:42 AM

My guess on those would have been BAT 85s.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flanagan0718

They are 1n914, pretty sure, from Tayda...like the others said. I even pulled some out of a TS9 from the 90's that looked like this. I've found that 1n4148 diodes tend to look like the others in the picture.

midwayfair

You can't ID an unmarked diode from the package. There are literally dozens of diodes made in any given package. Just because Tayda sells 1N914s that are colored and shaped like that doesn't mean that the diode is a 1N914 from Tayda, or a 1N914 from somewhere else. You have to desolder it, measure the forward resistance, and then lump it in with the inevitable dozens of similarly measured diodes ... basically, what I'm getting at is that you aren't going to ID the diode itself, but you can at least determine its function in the circuit.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: midwayfair on June 04, 2014, 02:46:56 PM
You can't ID an unmarked diode from the package. There are literally dozens of diodes made in any given package. Just because Tayda sells 1N914s that are colored and shaped like that doesn't mean that the diode is a 1N914 from Tayda, or a 1N914 from somewhere else. You have to desolder it, measure the forward resistance, and then lump it in with the inevitable dozens of similarly measured diodes ... basically, what I'm getting at is that you aren't going to ID the diode itself, but you can at least determine its function in the circuit.

Makes sense Jon, thanks.

When looking at what diodes are used in 808 mods these days, it gets me close to IDing them. I'm sure they used standard clipping diodes and nothing rare. It's a great sounding pedal for a modded TS and I really like the options of the input cap selector and diode selector. Now I wan to see what IC they went with, if it's the standard 4558 or one of the variants.

Cody

GermanCdn

Reminds me of the VHT V-drive

http://www.vhtamp.com/products/vht-accessories/v-drive-pedal

11 diode options, 12 input cap options, was a really nice pedal, too bad I sold mine, but it was in the "I can build better" section of my board.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

slimtriggers

OK, found these in my stash.  FV a little high for 1n34a ::)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: slimtriggers on June 04, 2014, 06:02:07 PM
OK, found these in my stash.  FV a little high for 1n34a ::)

Thanks so much.

Cody