News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Building rack mounted – "stomp pedals”?

Started by peAk, June 03, 2014, 04:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

Was thinking that this might be useful to me for recording and it might be nice to make "pedals" in a rack and have some of patch bay to cycle through them. I could also run an effect loop from my audio interface to allow adding effects to already recorded tracks.

Anyone here doing this?

Ideas?

Discuss

culturejam

I've seen some folks do it in the past. It's cool idea.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

I've thought of doing this occasionally. The idea I've had was to build 6-8 pedals into a 2 or 3 space rack mount enclosure with the I/O on the back end. The only way I'd do this is if I were running a Midi controlled rack setup though.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

cooder

I've built this a while back as an analog effectsunit which I do use all the time (running it in effectsloop of amp). Works great.
It's basically 6 stompboxes in series in an aluminum enclosure, stuck into a wooden (Rimu, a native New Zealand timber) case.
Effects in there are: madbean fatpants/ madbean double flush / deep blue delay / multiplex delay / rub-a-dub reverb / rc boost for eq and pushing it if need.
Mostly I have the deep blue delay and the reverb on all the time, tremolo is nice too and the multiplex when I get more into wilder delay sounds. The boosts I use only rarely, the rc boost is good to dial in some more/less bass/treble on amps that don't have a fancy tonestack.
Works good for me.
BigNoise Amplification

muddyfox

That's a nice piece of furniture you have there!  ;D
Seems like a useful piece of gear and certainly a head turner...

Deep Blue is an analog delay?

cooder

Quote from: muddyfox on June 03, 2014, 08:33:44 PM
That's a nice piece of furniture you have there!  ;D
Seems like a useful piece of gear and certainly a head turner...

Deep Blue is an analog delay?
Cheers.
Nah deep blue delay is of course  not a 'real' analog delay but I called it that because it sounds somewhat close to the ol' BBD analog ones... and the Multiplex is of course not a real 'tape delay' (that wouldn't have fitted in an enclosure that size...) but it does the sound quite nicely (props to Josh 8)) and so it got the name... I could have called it 'poor man's tape delay'...  ;)
BigNoise Amplification

peAk

that sir, is kick@ss and pretty much exactly what I am talking about

I wouldn't be using it for live but more for recording.

selfdestroyer

That is awesome Cooder. I love the box you made for it, its so clean.

Cody

PhiloB

stecykmi

i've wanted to do this before myself, but i discovered rack enclosures are quite expensive! the hammond ones i've seen _start_ at $60 and go up.

i'd love to get my hands on some salvageable ones...

pickdropper

They aren't any cheaper, but check out the Lansing enclosures.  They make some nice stuff.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

blearyeyes

flanagan0718

Quote from: blearyeyes on June 04, 2014, 06:25:47 AM
I love your box Cooder. Inspiration...

haha this made me chuckle.
Great build! I had an old college ask me about this and I kind of shyed away from it.

thesameage

This is very cool. Gives me some ideas.

Does anyone know of any cases that have built in wood sides?

thesameage

There are some nice racks here... too bad they are all double spaced.