News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Time to "get right" with the Component Gods

Started by culturejam, May 29, 2014, 10:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I've been putting it off for weeks (nay, months), but tonight is the night I get right with the Component Gods. Tonight I will go through the half a dozen parts orders that I have as yet neglected to fully unpack and sort into the appropriate storage receptacles. I've got Tayda, Electronics Goldmine, Mouser, and Smallbear orders still in the original shipping packages.

There's no telling what all I'll find!  ;D  Although I can almost guarantee that plenty of stuff I sort through will be a mystery to me as to why I ordered it. Another goodly share will have been unwittingly duplicated.

Anybody else behind on unpacking orders?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

That is funny, I was doing that all last night. Its not that I was behind per-say but I did a bunch of large orders with 4 places and they all got delivered within 2 days from each other and I got buried in parts. I'm not sure about everyone else but I always test a few of the parts just to make sure they are labeled correctly. I always buy resistors in packs of 200 so I test 5 or 10 of them just to make sure they are what they say they are.

I actually find it pretty calming to put some music on at the bench and just sort through parts.

Cody

Leevibe

Quote from: culturejam on May 29, 2014, 10:35:44 PM
Although I can almost guarantee that plenty of stuff I sort through will be a mystery to me as to why I ordered it.

Haha! I do that with pretty much every order.

haveyouseenhim

I just moved so I'm going to use it as an opportunity to organize and set up my work area.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

davent

There's no telling what all I'll find!  ;D  Although I can almost guarantee that plenty of stuff I sort through will be a mystery to me as to why I ordered it.

Luckily i've discovered Mouser/Digikey have provisions for identifying what i'm buying the part for so for the most part... no more carts of mystery!
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Quote from: davent on May 30, 2014, 01:30:31 AM
Luckily i've discovered Mouser/Digikey have provisions for identifying what i'm buying the part for so for the most part... no more carts of mystery!

Yeah, the sad thing is that I know about this but always forget to make notes at checkout. :/

das234

My orders are coming in staggered so I can keep on top of them, otherwise I'd be buried.  I got some 3080s from Goodbuy on eBay and a bundle of 870 1/8w resistors from someone else on eBay, both coming from China.  Ordered a Taptation set from DIY Stompboxes.  I've got an order coming from Futurlec and I just placed a pretty big order with the new Tayda discount code (NUTELLA).  Meanwhile, I got some stuff from BLMS and I also bought some of the stuff tunatuk was clearing out in his 'going out of business' sale.  I've got orders going in to Smallbear and Mouser next week.  I also got some boards from 1776, JMK, Guitar PCB and aion.  Oh yeah, and Ian's Doubleganger is coming too.  I'd like to try Ben's 3PDT boards from Rullywow but I don't want to pay shipping just for those and I can't bear to order any more PCBs right now.  Plus, I still have some of Josh's left.  I think that's all.   

Jopn

Quote from: Leevibe on May 29, 2014, 11:14:28 PM
Although I can almost guarantee that plenty of stuff I sort through will be a mystery to me as to why I ordered it.

Haha! I do that with pretty much every order.

I finally figured out a trick that works for me.  I just search for the component name in my Internet browser history, then see what pages I was browsing just before I pulled up a vendor page to add it to my cart.

muddyfox

das234

The spreadsheet works pretty well too.  If you forget why you bought something, you can check the spreadsheet to see what project it goes with.

slacker775

There's no telling what all I'll find!  ;D  Although I can almost guarantee that plenty of stuff I sort through will be a mystery to me as to why I ordered it. Another goodly share will have been unwittingly duplicated

Oh thank god I'm not the only one!

muddyfox

Not only do I not know what project the parts are for once they finally arrive (hello China Post!), I'm actually afraid to use them on a project that I have going at the time. What if they were not bought for that particular project? What if i bought it for a completely different project that was missing only that one part and if I use it anywhere else, I'll be postponing the original project for yet another month?

Living on the edge, every time a parts shipment comes in. On the edge, I tell you!  ;D

Govmnt_Lacky

This happens to me ALL THE TIME!!!

Just recently, I went digging through my "unsorted" to find some 3P4T rotaries and all I could find was 4P3T  :-X

Been trying to do a trade for a few days but.....  ::)

I am ALWAYS looking for parts I thought I have only to find parts that were "close"

culturejam

When I sorted things night before last, I came across a bunch of "amp-sized" stuff. Couldn't remember at first what it was for. But then I remembered I still have a fully unmodded Valve Jr combo, and that was what the parts were for. Gonna change a few values around, add a tone control and negative feedback switch. I sweat the VJ is a great platform for modding and yields a great amp with minimal effort. And the V3 versions even have a decent  output tranny.

I also discovered that I already had a couple parts I ordered earlier that day;D