News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EH Metal Muff

Started by PhiloB, May 29, 2014, 03:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk1802

I have had a few EHX pedals (a couple small stones) come by me with the FB (which I assume to mean ferrite bead???) located nearest the power jack doing weird things. I can't remember if they were failing open or closed, but they were the problem. I assumed they were just for rf filtering, pulled them, and everything was great after that.

RobA

I think that's a diode. The SMD parts don't make any sense with their codes. You have to look them up in a chart that also makes no sense. Fun! But, it looks like the board has both the part number and values for the parts on it. Is that the diode's value above it on the edge of the PCB above the diode?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

PhiloB

If I remember right, it was a string of letters and numbers starting with 'M'. It had no meaning to me last night when I looked at it.  Then again, I've never worked with SMD

Rockhorst

I once fixed an SMD pedal by top soldering a through hole electro ::) The guy I did the fix for has been gigging with it for over a year now without any trouble, to my surprise.

RobA

Quote from: PhiloB on May 29, 2014, 09:22:06 PM
If I remember right, it was a string of letters and numbers starting with 'M'. It had no meaning to me last night when I looked at it.  Then again, I've never worked with SMD

If it's something like MMB at the start of the string, I'd guess that was your diode value and try putting it in Mouser or Digi-Key or one of the other suppliers.

I'd guess you could use your diode tester with the diode in-circuit in addition to testing the voltage at the diode.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

wgc

It's a diode, ref designators don't change thruhole vs smd.

You can heat each lead one at a time and once solder melts you can pry each lead upwards out of the solder. Then wick off the extra solder on the pads and solder on a new part. Should take about 2 min.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Govmnt_Lacky

If its a diode, then why does it have 3-4 legs on it  ???

The D2 component looks just like the Q3 component.

Uggg.... SMD  :-\

RobA

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 29, 2014, 10:19:42 PM
If its a diode, then why does it have 3-4 legs on it  ???

The D2 component looks just like the Q3 component.

Uggg.... SMD  :-\
To help orient it for automatic placers. One leg isn't connected.

chromesphere

I have seen 2 switching diodes in one package in smd that have 3 legs before just like Q2 in the photo.  I guess they could be using something like that?  (not sure what they would need the second 1n4001 for though).

Edit: one leg is not connected!  Yeah my votes for 2 rectifiers in the one package
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

PhiloB

Looks like I don't have to worry about the diode.  Looks like the  DC jack doesn't work.  I put a battery in and the pedal works.  I get no voltage on the jack pin when plugged in.
Side note, the LED for the Top Boost is a little dimmer and occasionally cuts out but doesn't affect the signal.