News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We all need one

Started by angrykoko, May 28, 2014, 02:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

So... conversation with a friend and got looking at some iconic 80's guitars that we really should have in our arsenal.
Vintage 80's BC Rich Warlock's can be had for 250.00 or less
But the one that was over the top.. George Lynch's "bones" guitar.. thought for sure it's another 300.00 find but.. I found this instead  (and you guys thought TMG guitars were over priced).

http://mrscaryguitars.com/

all I can say is "why??"
and for the price.. clean the lens on the camera your taking pictures with!

ANYWAY.. what other iconic "head bangers ball" guitars do you own?  I sadly own none.

Enjoy!
Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

GermanCdn

I've developed somewhat of a taste for Japanese Charvel and Jackson products as of late.  Picked up a Japanese Jackson RR5 (TOM bridge, so not quite hair metal vintage) a few weeks back, killer thin neck on that one with scalloped fingerboard and jumbo frets (the scallop job was not factory I'm pretty sure, but someone did a good job on it), currently finishing a fret level job on it.  Interesting thing though, it came stock with a JB in the neck and the bridge, and the JB in the neck is actually the bridge model, not the neck model (you can get a neck model JB from SD, it's just not that common).

Looking to pick up a Jackson Kelly if I can find a nice one used, and a Charvel San Dimas or SoCal Wildcard if I can find another one (could have picked a used one up a while back, but they wanted essentially a new price for it, and it needed enough work that I wasn't paying full price for it).  Kind of interested in the GJ2 guitars too (the new Grover Jackson stuff).

Would really like to find a legit ESP Lynch Skull and Bones Skull and Snake version (same as the cover for Wicked Sensation), but those are wayyyyy too pricey for a guitar I'm not going to use much.  Same thing for a higher end BC Rich Mockingbird.

Have one Ibanez shredder guitar left, need to swap the pickups on it and do some work on the bridge, as I'm currently not happy with either.

Oh yeah, and I have 6 EVHs/Wolfgangs/Axis's, and looking to add some more.  Don't think they qualify as headbanger guitars though.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

alanp

I've always wanted one of those 10 string BC Rich Bich guitars!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rullywowr

I guess I have two "head bangers":

1)  Kramer Pacer with maple fretboard, Floyd Rose, Green Dimarzio Breed and PAF pro pickups. 

2)  Gibson Flying V. 

I use the Pacer quite often in the shop to test pedals etc.  Great player, good sound, and it's just fun to wang on the whammy bar while doing some 80's tunes.  Currently set up for down only trem operation.  I love my Les Pauls and Fenders but the Pacer is great for just putzing around the house without worrying about it getting messed up.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

Quote from: GermanCdn on May 28, 2014, 03:34:50 PM
I've developed somewhat of a taste for Japanese Charvel and Jackson products as of late.  Picked up a Japanese Jackson RR5 (TOM bridge, so not quite hair metal vintage) a few weeks back, killer thin neck on that one with scalloped fingerboard and jumbo frets (the scallop job was not factory I'm pretty sure, but someone did a good job on it), currently finishing a fret level job on it.  Interesting thing though, it came stock with a JB in the neck and the bridge, and the JB in the neck is actually the bridge model, not the neck model (you can get a neck model JB from SD, it's just not that common).

Looking to pick up a Jackson Kelly if I can find a nice one used, and a Charvel San Dimas or SoCal Wildcard if I can find another one (could have picked a used one up a while back, but they wanted essentially a new price for it, and it needed enough work that I wasn't paying full price for it).  Kind of interested in the GJ2 guitars too (the new Grover Jackson stuff).

Would really like to find a legit ESP Lynch Skull and Bones Skull and Snake version (same as the cover for Wicked Sensation), but those are wayyyyy too pricey for a guitar I'm not going to use much.  Same thing for a higher end BC Rich Mockingbird.

Have one Ibanez shredder guitar left, need to swap the pickups on it and do some work on the bridge, as I'm currently not happy with either.

Oh yeah, and I have 6 EVHs/Wolfgangs/Axis's, and looking to add some more.  Don't think they qualify as headbanger guitars though.

I have a Japanese Jackson Soloist (neck-thru) and a Japanese Charvel Fusion (bolt-on).  Both are fantastically made guitars. 

The Charvel is a workhorse for me.  It has some dual blade singles to go with the bridge humbucker.  I am not sure if they are original to the guitar, but they sound great.  I need to pull them out and see what they are one of these days.

The Jackson is one of the best playing guitars I own, although the neck is definitely on the thin side.  The Jackson branded pickups are simply the worst things I have in any of my guitars.  I've been meaning to replace them, but haven't gotten around to it.  I have a Duncan Distortion that is bound for the bridge on that one, still deciding on the single coils for it.

I also have an MIJ Ibanez RG-570 that I bought in the early 90's.  It was my second guitar (and first that wasn't a POS).  I replaced the pickups with SD a while back. It's a very nice guitar, but I play the Charvel the most out of the three.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

slimtriggers

I also have a Charvel Fusion.  Mine's the 2 humbucker model, Fusion Plus.  The neck is my favorite on any guitar I've ever played!

I quit playing it much when pointy headstocks became unfashionable.  I need to go dig that thing out  8)

GermanCdn

Quote from: pickdropper on May 28, 2014, 06:11:25 PM

I have a Japanese Jackson Soloist (neck-thru) and a Japanese Charvel Fusion (bolt-on).  Both are fantastically made guitars. 

I know right?  The MIJ SoCal I almost picked up had an amazing neck on it, and the finish on the guitar was perfect (unlike some MIA Fender stuff I have, where if you tilt the guitar in the right light, you can see where it wasn't buffed out enough).  Shoulda bought it, but it needed a partial refret and new pots and switches, and buddy wouldn't move on the price.  The RR5 I've got is old and beat to shit, but it took more time to clean it (previous owner was a chain smoker and didn't believe in fretboard cleaner either, had to Gorgomyte it something fierce) than it did to get it set up and I'm pretty sure it had been in the case for a couple of years with no attention cause the strings were dead far beyond a playable level.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

My only real complaint with the Charvel is the amazingly bad placement of the volume knob.  I've been meaning to rip it out and put a dual concentric where the tone knob is.  I've only had the guitar for 15 years or so, I can't be expected to jump right on a complicated mod like that.  :-D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

This is on our Creigslist here in Fresno CA.

http://fresno.craigslist.org/msg/4417833173.html
I am so tempted. lol

There is also a guy here in Fresno that makes custom guitars and some are pretty scary and I always see them in thrift shops here.

Cody

mattc

I have a 85 Jackson Rhoads, two custom shop Rhoads, two archtop soloists and two Jackson CS seven strings... I guess those count  :)

sonarchotic

Been really tempted by this 80's BC NJ Virgin lately. $225. I've done a trade build with the owner before so maybe we'll work out another. I like the aged white and it's just so silly metal ;D