News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Questions about open frame jacks

Started by flanagan0718, May 27, 2014, 12:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

So after taking a break for a while (due to the birth of my daughter) I started organizing and prioritizing projects coming up. Then I started looking at my bench stock and I realized I    H A T E    the closed frame jacks I got from Tayda. So My questions are:

-Has anyone tried the $0.40 jacks from Mammoth and are the crap?
-BLMS seems to have the best bang for you buck but is it worth the extra $5 for 26? (<- vs mammoth)
-Is there anywhere other than BLMS, PPP, and Mammoth with decent pricing on open frame mono jacks?
Thanks in advance
-Mike-

midwayfair

It depends on what you mean by "decent" pricing. Like, Smallbear's price on Switchcrafts is good in quantities of 25+.

I have complaints with basically every budget open frame jack I've come across ... the Tayda ones are actually BETTER than a lot of them, and I like the Tayda ones better than Neutrick jacks, which somehow manage to grip too tightly while still being flimsy feeling, but if you like them (some people DO prefer them), then the BLMS is the best price I've ever seen on them. The budget ones from Pedal Parts Plus have a really inferior enclosing material, and they came apart with some abuse. My complaint with the Tayda jacks is that the tip has to be edited to fit a 1/4" plug (I don't know what's going on with that, but at least they're consistent in that error) -- the plastic enclosing is more durable than a lot of other budget options.

flanagan0718

Quote from: midwayfair on May 27, 2014, 01:07:48 PM
It depends on what you mean by "decent" pricing. Like, Smallbear's price on Switchcrafts is good in quantities of 25+.

I have complaints with basically every budget open frame jack I've come across ... the Tayda ones are actually BETTER than a lot of them, and I like the Tayda ones better than Neutrick jacks, which somehow manage to grip too tightly while still being flimsy feeling, but if you like them (some people DO prefer them), then the BLMS is the best price I've ever seen on them. The budget ones from Pedal Parts Plus have a really inferior enclosing material, and they came apart with some abuse. My complaint with the Tayda jacks is that the tip has to be edited to fit a 1/4" plug (I don't know what's going on with that, but at least they're consistent in that error) -- the plastic enclosing is more durable than a lot of other budget options.

That's some good info there. I haven't tried the Tayda open frames yet. I like the idea of only paying $.50 for a jack but also realize it's a bit unrealistic for that quality I would like. Jon are the tayda open frames you're talking about the ones with the black plastic disks?

midwayfair

Quote from: flanagan0718 on May 27, 2014, 01:37:01 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on May 27, 2014, 01:07:48 PM

That's some good info there. I haven't tried the Tayda open frames yet. I like the idea of only paying $.50 for a jack but also realize it's a bit unrealistic for that quality I would like. Jon are the tayda open frames you're talking about the ones with the black plastic disks?

These:
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/6-35mm-1-4-plugs-jacks/6-35mm-1-4-mono-chassis-socket-jack.html

I've stopped using them, though, in favor of just putting Switchcraft in everything. I was just saying that of the less expensive jacks, I liked the Tayda ones better than some others I tried. The Neutricks are still a step up ... but the Neutricks are not as good as the Switchcraft.

flanagan0718

hmm good food for thought. Thanks!

GermanCdn

My findings on "cheaper" open frame jacks is that the nut (or corresponding threads) on a lot of them are pretty bad, both in looks and function.  I bought a few of the budget ones off Banzai, which look pretty identical to most of the other budget ones, and they either wouldn't tighten to the housing enough to keep the jack in place when you were plugging and unplugging, or they'd strip off completely.  Either way pretty unuseable, and they're probably the same ones everywhere.

The best value open frame ones I've found are actually from Mammoth.  They start at $0.65 each, and if you buy 50 (and it doesn't take long to burn through 50), they go down to $0.54.  I've gone through a couple of hundred, haven't had any contact or stripping issues.

All that being said, my favourite jacks are the NYS2122 jacks.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

I use the open frame mono ones from BLMS and have not had a problem yet. The threads on the shaft are rugged and I have yet to strip one out.

Cody

diablochris6

I use the cheapest open frame jacks from Tayda or Mammoth and have not had any problem with them. I usually hand tighten them with a socket without a ratchet or driver to prevent over-torquing them and stripping out the threads.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

rullywowr

I can't stand the Tayda open jacks. They strip too easily, and when the plug is fully inserted, want to push your jack out. Total garbage. I do like BLMS Neutrik and genuine Switchcraft. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

GrindCustoms

I pretty much sold my soul to Switchcraft in the jack departement. More expansive but worth every penny to me.

I have tried the Mammoth economic option before, the nut seemed really cheap to me and the Tip hook was not always well alligned.... so.. ..meh..!

Agreed with Jon about the feel with Neutriks, but i think that it's possibly your best option to maintain a good quality level vs budget pricing.

Honorable mention to the TRS Switching Enclosed jack sold by BLMS. The nut is less beefier than a switchcraft but it's still very good. Overall quality of the jack could cut it for production stuff.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

micromegas

Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 27, 2014, 06:04:54 PM
I pretty much sold my soul to Switchcraft in the jack departement. More expansive but worth every penny to me.

I have tried the Mammoth economic option before, the nut seemed really cheap to me and the Tip hook was not always well alligned.... so.. ..meh..!

Agreed with Jon about the feel with Neutriks, but i think that it's possibly your best option to maintain a good quality level vs budget pricing.

Honorable mention to the TRS Switching Enclosed jack sold by BLMS. The nut is less beefier than a switchcraft but it's still very good. Overall quality of the jack could cut it for production stuff.

+1 on the Switchcraft switches. In Europe you can find them quite chip at Banzai.

Nowadays I'm using the small Kobiconn jacks Hardbeasher uses (I think also Juansolo used a pair on the last batch of builds)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

chromesphere

Switchcraft are the best, hands down.  They take open jacks to a new level.  I prefer neutrik second.  Unfortunately the solder lug holes on the neutriks are insensibly small for some unknown reason but its not a deal breaker for me and they are half the cost of switchcraft.  Apart from that they are top notch.

The biggest concern with budget jacks is the fluting that holds the jack sections together.  They often come loose on the cheaper jacks and the shield and tip contacts start spinning around as you tighten the nut on the outside of the enclosure.  I had a bunch of these that actually shorted the tip and shield together when the wafers of the jack came loose!  That was 'fun' to fault diagnose why my pedal all of a sudden had nothing on the output. I just cant buy cheap jacks after that incident anymore...I only use switchcraft and neutrik now.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Stomptown

If you go with Mammoth for jacks I would go for these at $0.65 each:

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SJK100M-p/610-1000.htm

They are clones of the switchcraft and I've had no problems with them in the last couple years. That being said, I've been converted to switchcraft as well and they do seem a bit nicer (although i prefer the washer that comes on the mammoth ones). The main reason I switched to switchcraft is that I tend to sell builds I don't end up using and I build the occasional one off to help fund the addiction and I don't like using parts I cannot guarantee will hold up over time. If you are building for yourself I wouldn't be concerned as much though and the mammoth jacks I posted above are exactly what you are looking for. The question is: do you like to buy from mammoth.  ;)

flanagan0718

Quote from: Stomptown on May 28, 2014, 03:02:43 AM
If you go with Mammoth for jacks I would go for these at $0.65 each:

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SJK100M-p/610-1000.htm

They are clones of the switchcraft and I've had no problems with them in the last couple years. That being said, I've been converted to switchcraft as well and they do seem a bit nicer (although i prefer the washer that comes on the mammoth ones). The main reason I switched to switchcraft is that I tend to sell builds I don't end up using and I build the occasional one off to help fund the addiction and I don't like using parts I cannot guarantee will hold up over time. If you are building for yourself I wouldn't be concerned as much though and the mammoth jacks I posted above are exactly what you are looking for. The question is: do you like to buy from mammoth.  ;)
I've only used Mammoth once or twice and they were pretty small orders. I had no issues and didn't have to deal with the customer service at all. From what everyone is saying I think I'll go with the Switchcraft jacks from Mouser. Thank you everyone for your advice!

Stomptown

Anyone who is building commercially should check out CE distribution for switchcraft jacks. They are $1.20 each for quantities over 10! You have to be a business and you have to apply for an account (not really that difficult). There may be better deals out there but I've yet to see them myself...