News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slanted Enclosures

Started by selfdestroyer, May 26, 2014, 10:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Just like with anything else, I know there are many different ways to accomplish the same goal. I am looking at making a few 1590BB and 125A slanted builds and wanted to hear about methods you find that work well. I have heard hack saw and I have heard Dremel and clean up with a belt sander. How do you keep the threads intact when sanding it?

This is some stuff I found around the web/DIYSB:
haveyouseenhim:
QuoteI use my calipers to measure the front depth and back depth. Then a strait edge to connect the marks. After that I use a reinforced cutter wheel on my dremel to cut about a mm below the line. And finally, I use a large metal file to smooth and level it out. If it's a deep slant I have to re-tap the screw holes.

armdnrdy:
QuoteThe only way I know to make a clean, accurate, angled cut on an enclosure is with a horizontal band saw.

John Lyons:
QuoteYou'll need a solid work bench, a decent hacksaw and a nice readable line to cut to. If you get off of the line just correct yourself and keep going. I used a belt sander to smooth out the cuts. IA file wirk work fine, just takes a lot longer. You'll also need to grind down the lid depending on the angle you use AND also re drill and tap the screw holes if the angle is  steep.

Any of these comments ring true with your builds? Anything thing to add to these or a better way of doing it?

Thanks

Cody

davent

Cody have you seen Mac Walker's Wedges, he still has a few left and just to tease, the other day, John Lyons posted a few of his builds in Walker Wedges. I've got a few and they're real nice, should have something to show soon.

Also have a 1590J that the plan is to cut down into a big wedge so looking for hints and methods as well.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97548.msg974098#msg974098

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

peAk

Just curious Cody, why not buy slanted enclosures?

I like these enclosures the guy sells on here.

Is it an etching issue or do you just prefer aluminum?

selfdestroyer

Thanks for the replies, I guess I would like to use what I have at this point and Im sitting on 20 1590BB and 10 125B's. Plus I like the results I have seen in them. I know the 1590BB's will be hard due to height for switches but I know its possible as it just needs to be planned properly.

I do like the slanted enclosures you have shared and the ones for sale around here.. I just want to see how others do it to their Hammond enclosures.

Cody

peAk

Yeah honestly, prior to reading your post, I didn't even know people cut their hammonds to make them slanted.

That's interesting

alanp

I've bought a few Hammond folded sheet metal slanted enclosures now, they tend to be fairly decent :)

I'm not saying they'd stand up to a beered up bogan jumping on them with both feet, but they're not bad.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

timbo_93631

Hey Cody,
     I cut them with a hacksaw, and clamp them down firmly.  Then I square off the edges with a big 14" file that just cuts right across two sides at once without much chatter.  once everything is pretty close to the lines I draw on the enclosure (~1/64th") I sand the entire bottom opening on 80,120,180,220grits that I have stapled to the top of an old organ bench in a row and that really gets everything pretty even.  For the short side the holes are usually gone at this point so I drill and tap them with a 6/32 tap.  I got tired of the cheap taps from home depot breaking so I shelled out for a nice HSS tap and vintage tap handle on ebay, with some machine oil it taps like butter.  If you want to swing by and check out the process in a few weeks let me know, baby time is imminent.  Also you can borrow my tap if need be.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

selfdestroyer

Quote from: timbo_93631 on May 28, 2014, 10:11:07 PM
Hey Cody,
     I cut them with a hacksaw, and clamp them down firmly.  Then I square off the edges with a big 14" file that just cuts right across two sides at once without much chatter.  once everything is pretty close to the lines I draw on the enclosure (~1/64th") I sand the entire bottom opening on 80,120,180,220grits that I have stapled to the top of an old organ bench in a row and that really gets everything pretty even.  For the short side the holes are usually gone at this point so I drill and tap them with a 6/32 tap.  I got tired of the cheap taps from home depot breaking so I shelled out for a nice HSS tap and vintage tap handle on ebay, with some machine oil it taps like butter.  If you want to swing by and check out the process in a few weeks let me know, baby time is imminent.  Also you can borrow my tap if need be.

Wow Tim, didn't expect you to share your secrets. lol Thanks so much sharing your process and it gives me some solid ideas to try. I will love to come by and raid your shop. I am such a visual person and would love to help with a few to learn the process. I thought it was getting close to her due date. You're going to need a bigger van soon. lol

Cody