News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are some boards that don't get the mentions they deserve?

Started by alanp, May 26, 2014, 07:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I'll kick off with Rej's Temple of Giants board. It sounds pretty damn amazing, not just for silicon transistors, but as a fuzz period :) and it gets even MORE amazing when you have a Si/LED/Ge switch. But I don't think I've seen a report on here for it, other than me and Rej.

What are some boards that you guys like, but don't see on here?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

teknoman2

One of the best distortion that I have ever built is emma reezafratzitz,
I ve seen only one built by juansolo.
I completed last week and it is the best tube amp like distortion.
Its very easy to built and definetly will satisfy anyone

Willybomb

teknoman2

selfdestroyer

Midwayfair's Clipper Ship Overdrive just doesn't get the respect it deserves. I have made a few in the past and they always get cycled on my board. Great booster/low gain OD.

Cody

Jopn

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 26, 2014, 07:07:55 PM
Midwayfair's Clipper Ship Overdrive just doesn't get the respect it deserves. I have made a few in the past and they always get cycled on my board. Great booster/low gain OD.

Cody

+1, I was just about to post the same.

GermanCdn

Quote from: Jopn on May 26, 2014, 07:35:10 PM
Midwayfair's Clipper Ship Overdrive just doesn't get the respect it deserves. I have made a few in the past and they always get cycled on my board. Great booster/low gain OD.

Cody

+2 on this one.  I've got one on my board right now, and a blank board which will get populated once my special order of diodes and transistors arrives from overseas.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

midwayfair

Quote from: GermanCdn on May 26, 2014, 08:37:51 PM
Quote from: Jopn on May 26, 2014, 07:35:10 PM

Cody

+2 on this one.  I've got one on my board right now, and a blank board which will get populated once my special order of diodes and transistors arrives from overseas.

Aww, thanks guys. :)

The stuff I don't think gets the attention it deserves is a lot of stuff that doesn't even HAVE PCBs for people to take notice of, stuff like the Fuzz Stainer.

Also, I didn't think the Quadrovibe ever got the respect it deserved -- there were very few build reports out there for it. I get that it was a pretty complicated build for what it was, but it was insanely better than the Magnavibe or the Wobbletron it was derived from, and still way easier to make than a full Univibe.

And although I don't think the Whisker Biscuit was exactly "ignored" in any way, I think compared to the Big Muff it's practically invisible these days, and I've always liked it more than the Big Muff. Same insane sustain/gain, same tone control if you want it, but the harmonics are clearer IMO, it's far fewer parts, it's a quieter design overall (in terms of thermal noise especially), and it has some actual dynamics.

peAk

That's great to hear

I have a Temple of Giants coming  8)

juansolo

Quote from: midwayfair on May 27, 2014, 02:08:43 AMAlso, I didn't think the Quadrovibe ever got the respect it deserved -- there were very few build reports out there for it. I get that it was a pretty complicated build for what it was, but it was insanely better than the Magnavibe or the Wobbletron it was derived from, and still way easier to make than a full Univibe.

This in spades! Never understood why the Quadrovibe wasn't more popular, it's spectacularly good. I prefer it to the Univibe.  :o

Thinking about it, it was a bit of a shit to build. If ever there was an effect that deserved a re-vamp to a more builder friendly layout with on-board charge pump, this is it. Just don't mess with how it sounds/works.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

I remember when I first saw that -- the lamp immediately killed the idea for me, as well as the LT1054 (IIRC, this part is Mouser-only for me... maybe RS carries it, I didn't know at the time.) Plus it's an etched project, which tends to scare me away from the idea. (I'm lazy, I prefer fabbed.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Strategy

I built FrequencyCentral's "Promiscuous Girlfriend" submini tube overdrive. Awesome pedal, was fun and educational as a first tube project. Rick (FC) said very few people have built that one. Works subtle or medium-extreme, sounds good on guitar but also use it on synths & stuff to get a tubed sound.

Strategy

Strategy

I should add, that was a project that came from DIYSB forum