News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply question

Started by selfdestroyer, May 21, 2014, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lousaad

Quote from: lousaad on May 11, 2016, 12:38:52 PM
Voodoo (~$110 to $190), 1-spot Pro CS7 ($120), and Powertrain1250 ($200)  are all very compact (The Voodoo ISO-5 is the size of a 1590BBT!) and reasonably priced.  I purchased the Powertrain1250 unit for my son a couple years ago.  Nice PS, but it's the priciest of them all.  (But it mounts beautifully on a Pedaltrain pedalboard, which is why I chose it... )  I'm going to have to work up a BOM and price list to see.  Just the enclosure, ranging from $25-$35, plus the xfmr, $~25, $30 with shipping, for the Weber unit, is half the cost of the 1-spot!  DiY lets me make what I want, but yeah, it's never as small.

One can easily build a small PS in a standard enclosure using a DC wall wart for the input power that's dirt cheap, regulated, and adjustable.  For modest needs, it might be the most economical way to go...   (example: http://www.muzique.com/tech/power3.htm)

A quick BOM yields a price to build of approx US$80, not including shipping from a few sources.  Most parts from Mouser; transformer from Weber; enclosure from eBay.

I guess if you have many of the components, it would be worth it, but it falls into the price range of being questionably worth the effort, not to mention the size.  $80 is enough short of $120 to build another pedal, but you get to build what you want (inputs/outputs/features,) not to mention the satisfaction of building it...  YMMV

Willybomb

QuoteUnfortunately the pictures aren't showing up.

Fixed it.

lousaad

Quote from: Willybomb on May 14, 2016, 09:35:03 AM
QuoteUnfortunately the pictures aren't showing up.

Fixed it.

First, love the name!  Cleaver.  Nice labeling, too.  Brilliant idea with the wall wart!  I agree, a jiffy box (I think they're called a "plastic hobby box" in the US) might not be rugged enough for a PS, but it depends on your use; home use is probably fine, but gigging...   Nice work!

Willybomb

It's a lot more roadworthy now.  I've gooped it up to the eyeballs with a silicon gun - nothing inside is moving anywhere anytime.