News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply question

Started by selfdestroyer, May 21, 2014, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lousaad

That's a really nice layout, especially on the inside.  Nice work!  (If you don't mind my asking... ) Who makes the enclosure? 

Quote from: Leevibe on May 22, 2014, 05:52:52 AM
I built a spyder using the weber. The enclosure I used was roughly 2.5" x 4" x 6". It's a pretty tight squeeze in there and I think I need to add some heat sink, but it works great.

drolo

If you don;t have a natural aversion for supplies using DC-DC converters instead of the usual transformers, you could give that a go.
A lot easier to build as you don't have to deal with high voltage safety.

Usually they are a bit pricey but if you look around you sometimes find good deals. I have built a few multi supplies using these for example:

http://www.bgmicro.com/pm6078-004.aspx

Dirt cheap (except for their shipping to Europe ..)
They are 5v to 9v converters, which means that you need to feed them with a 5v supply.
Just hook as many of these up in parallel on the primary side and you have yourself a nice small isolated powersupply.

I have been using one with 16 converters on my board for months and have not had an issue yet. None of my pedals, digital and analog has had any noise created by the supply. I am feeding them with a 5v 8A supply but a 3-4 A supply would have been enough for the power consumed by my pedals.

drolo

lousaad

Quote from: drolo on April 12, 2016, 03:13:20 PM
oh .. old thread :-)

Yes.  Sorry.  I'm new here.  I was looking for a build for a pedal board power supply using the Weber transformer.  I've been 'lurking' here for a few weeks, and thought I'd give it a shot.  Found this.

EBRAddict

On the schematics above, you should always be fusing one or both inputs from the mains. Do not rely on a circuit breaker.

m-Kresol

I think it got even harder to compete with commercial PSUs since Cody's initial post. I did it just for the fun of it, but my PSU is big and chunky and has a lot less features than commercial ones do. If I had the choice again, I'll probably buy one.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Leevibe

Quote from: lousaad on April 12, 2016, 12:59:21 PM
That's a really nice layout, especially on the inside.  Nice work!  (If you don't mind my asking... ) Who makes the enclosure? 

Quote from: Leevibe on May 22, 2014, 05:52:52 AM
I built a spyder using the weber. The enclosure I used was roughly 2.5" x 4" x 6". It's a pretty tight squeeze in there and I think I need to add some heat sink, but it works great.

Thanks. Man, I don't remember who makes the enclosure. I bought it at Fry's Electronics a few years ago. If you're still interested, I can look around my bench. I think I still have the little slip that came with it that has the manufacturer's name etc.

Felix is right in that it's a lot of work to come up with something that is big, heavy, and has less features than what you can get commercially. Still, it was a fun build. The Weber tranny would be pretty sweet to integrate into a custom pedalboard. One thing I like about it is that it's transformer based. No worries about switching supply whine.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: m-Kresol on April 12, 2016, 09:05:32 PM
I think it got even harder to compete with commercial PSUs since Cody's initial post. I did it just for the fun of it, but my PSU is big and chunky and has a lot less features than commercial ones do. If I had the choice again, I'll probably buy one.

This is exactly why I went with a 4x4 from Voodoo Labs. I just could not get what I wanted in a DIY for the price and size. One day we will be able to do it economically and size worthy.. one day

Cody

playpunk

I'm planning on buying (at some point) a walrus audio Phoenix. I have limited build time and it makes no sense to build something inferior and more expensive than the commercial product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

blearyeyes

I spent a lot of time and some money on trying to figure out the best way to go but ended up buying the 1 spot trutone and its mounted under my board.

Back in the day I just got a wall wart and made a harness. Used it forever but I was running 5 Boss pedals. Wish I still had a few of them. No noise but then they were all the same company and no fuzzes or finicky pedals.

Drolo might be onto something though.

gordo

Yeah, I threw in the towel.  My old PS was the one in the photos over at AMZ and I've reconfigured it so many times it's about worn out.  The toroidal trannies that the big guys are using are very specialized but in low enough quantities that it's really not worth the manufacturers doling them out on the open market (let alone any non-disclosures they're under).  Not really sure how you could do better from a price point so it's pretty much love of the game.  That said, I built the Pig-Butt and when I tossed it on my Voodoo Lab powered main rig it was pretty noisy...even bypassed.  Fine on it's own and if I power it with most of the same pedals from my main rig with the AMZ supply its quiet.  Still think the Voodoo is killer but there's so many weird variables...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

TNblueshawk

I built these little dudes a few years back from a guy at BYOC who sold some PCB's he did. All isolated inputs.

John

lousaad

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 12, 2016, 11:31:23 PM
Quote from: m-Kresol on April 12, 2016, 09:05:32 PM

This is exactly why I went with a 4x4 from Voodoo Labs. I just could not get what I wanted in a DIY for the price and size. One day we will be able to do it economically and size worthy.. one day

Cody
No need, Cody, but thx for offering.  I have since found several similar on eBay that would do the job, along with a couple from Hammond.

As has been stated here, it becomes a question of whether it's worth building one vs buying off-the-shelf these days.  The units from Voodoo (~$110 to $190), 1-spot Pro CS7 ($120), and Powertrain1250 ($200)  are all very compact (The Voodoo ISO-5 is the size of a 1590BBT!) and reasonably priced.  I purchased the Powertrain1250 unit for my son a couple years ago.  Nice PS, but it's the priciest of them all.  (But it mounts beautifully on a Pedaltrain pedalboard, which is why I chose it... )  I'm going to have to work up a BOM and price list to see.  Just the enclosure, ranging from $25-$35, plus the xfmr, $~25, $30 with shipping, for the Weber unit, is half the cost of the 1-spot!  DiY lets me make what I want, but yeah, it's never as small.

One can easily build a small PS in a standard enclosure using a DC wall wart for the input power that's dirt cheap, regulated, and adjustable.  For modest needs, it might be the most economical way to go...   (example: http://www.muzique.com/tech/power3.htm)

Willybomb

lousaad

Quote from: Willybomb on May 11, 2016, 02:47:58 PM
Here's mine. It's fairly choccas, but it does the job..

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9871.0

Unfortunately the pictures aren't showing up.