Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply question

Started by selfdestroyer, May 21, 2014, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I was just looking at Walrus Audios new isolated power supply

http://walrusaudio.com/shop/aetos-clean-power-supply/

I have been trying to find a decent one to build for some time but it seems like all the AC to DC transformers spec. are huge. How do companies like Walrus and VooDoo keep their enclosures smaller and is it even worth DIY at that point? I want to upgrade my pedal board from its OneSpot at some point.

I see stuff like this

and wonder if it outputs 9v 1A could that them be split up in to 100mA connections and still be "isolated"

I have been poking around here and trying to wrap my head around what is needed for a isolated PS and still keeping a small foot print.
http://www.power-supply-designer.com/2011/05/isolation/

Thoughts?

Cody

micromegas

Interesting question... and ideas.

I am too tired now, but I will think about this tomorrow at work...

Niki Fena, from N-Audio, has a power supply similar to the ones build by VooDoo Labs and he shared the schematic (no values though): http://n-audio.net/sites/default/files/Powerbox%20MK2%20Schematic.pdf

Niki's products are one of a kind, good pcb design, good box design and some good priced and good sounding pedals.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

mattlee0037

Weber sells transformers made for DIY pedal powers. I believe for it to be isolated each tap of the transformer needs to be on one outlet. The weber one has like enough for 8 I think?

selfdestroyer

Thanks, look forward to the discussion. I am going to read up more tonight on this also. I keep thinking something like has to be done to keep them isolated but its just guesses since I know nothing about this stuff and just trying to retain it.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: mattlee0037 on May 21, 2014, 10:48:06 PM
Weber sells transformers made for DIY pedal powers. I believe for it to be isolated each tap of the transformer needs to be on one outlet. The weber one has like enough for 8 I think?

I see them at the bottom of this page. Thanks I will read up on them also.
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/magnetic.htm
WPDLXFMR-1
WPDLXFMR-2

Cody

playpunk

There is a shared pcb project on OSH for that weber transformer. I msged aballlen about the schematic earlier.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

davent

For my Spyderish PS the cheapest way was with 5 small dual secondary transformers, about 60ma per secondary. Not particularly tiny but in a 2" high chassis so figure it will easily go under a pedal board. Over the top regulator so something simpler could be used to shrink down the overall size.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13420.msg123528#msg123528
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

QuoteWeber sells transformers made for DIY pedal powers. I believe for it to be isolated each tap of the transformer needs to be on one outlet. The weber one has like enough for 8 I think?
I believe that it's a fairly sizable transformer though.  I faced the same issue when I built mine, and if you look for it on this forum, you'll see that it is pretty hefty but I also ended up using 3 1A transformers!

The smaller builds I've seen have utilised a number of much smaller transformers around 100-200ma as opposed to a single 1A or 2A.  Another option would be to see if you can find a suitable toroidal transformer as they tend to be much smaller, but also a lot more expensive.

What you also have to look out for in a lot of these commercial power supplies is that they themselves run off a wallwart, which defeats the purpose in my mind.  It's deadset easy to build a tiny power distribution box.  Maybe you could find a cheap laptop power supply and use that to feed a box on the pedalboard... 

Here's mine anyway.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9871.msg87154#msg87154

selfdestroyer

The examples give of your DIY projects are awesome, but.. what are the other companies doing to keep the boxes smaller that we in the DIY community can't do?

Cody

jkokura

They're using a Torodial (spelling?) transformer, which makes all the difference. It looks like a little donut, and it can be much smaller than the Weber unit.

Walrus is probably being honest - they have to get them custom made to be small enough, and chances are that's why the price is so high. They probably cost then $40 a pop, and even then, they're buying in bulk.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

I built a spyder using the weber. The enclosure I used was roughly 2.5" x 4" x 6". It's a pretty tight squeeze in there and I think I need to add some heat sink, but it works great.

muddyfox

You got some nice little amps in that mancave of yours...  ;D

Leevibe

Quote from: muddyfox on May 22, 2014, 06:00:50 AM

You got some nice little amps in that mancave of yours...  ;D

Haha! Thanks. That man cave is my office. Lucky me! Want to know a sad story? I'm selling some gear so I can buy me a mexican strat. So far I've sold my nova delay and the blackheart 5w half stack. (you can see the speaker cab in one of the pics) Then one of our cars decides to have trouble today. I literally sold the amp today! Now my strat money is going to end up with the mechanic. Rrrrr.

lousaad

That's a really nice layout, especially on the inside.  Nice work!  (If you don't mind my asking... ) Who makes the enclosure? 

Quote from: Leevibe on May 22, 2014, 05:52:52 AM
I built a spyder using the weber. The enclosure I used was roughly 2.5" x 4" x 6". It's a pretty tight squeeze in there and I think I need to add some heat sink, but it works great.