News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tonepad Pay-per-view??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, May 21, 2014, 02:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Went to Tonepad for the first time in a LONG time and saw that after 4+ years, there was finally a new project added. The Rebote 3. Got pretty excited until I saw this:

"Given the recent abuse of the info posted at tonepad we've been forced to implement a crowd-funded (or pay-per-view) way of posting the pdf. Once each batch of 50 boards is sold a new area of the pdf will be revealed in the following order: parts layout, schematic, and finally ready to transfer and traces images. Only parts layout will be available until we sell the first batch of boards. And customers will receive printed documentation to complete the project."

What "abuse" is Francisco talking about? And... is this going to be the norm with newly released projects?

midwayfair

Maybe his problem is that it's $17 for a PCB and people want to know if it's even remotely different from projects that are half the price.

Anyway, the layout file is readable. It's three PT2399s with current mirrors, and a filter section to get rid of all the extra noise that adds.

Scruffie

I once got a cease and desist warning from him for selling an etched PCB from a tonepad layout that I decided not to build... not 5 or 10, one board.
Works at Lectric-FX

Govmnt_Lacky

I dont know the resoning. I figured it was something that SOMEONE knew and would share.

I originally started my DIY adventure with PCBs from Tonepad. The GT2 and a TS. BOTH of them had flaws in the boards that took me forever to find and fix (being a newbie at the time didn't help). That was what pushed me into etching my own PCBs. I DID appreciate the availability of his etchable layouts though.

Shame. I wish I knew what the "abuse" was.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on May 21, 2014, 02:19:06 PM
I once got a cease and desist warning from him for selling an etched PCB from a tonepad layout that I decided not to build... not 5 or 10, one board.

:o

culturejam

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 21, 2014, 02:10:24 PM
is this going to be the norm with newly released projects?

Doesn't really matter. There are now a myriad of PCB vendors that do not impose restrictions on viewing content. In fact, I can't think of any that have restrictions. So I suspect this will end up being a bold new move for Tonepad in the direction of becoming even less relevant that it currently is.

Quote from: midwayfair on May 21, 2014, 02:17:24 PM
Anyway, the layout file is readable. It's three PT2399s with current mirrors, and a filter section to get rid of all the extra noise that adds.

That's just great. Function f(x) has something like this in the works. I wonder if we'll get blamed for "abusing" the Tonepad info?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Govmnt_Lacky

Correct me if I am wrong but.... hasn't there been a rash of (3) PT2399-based projects lately? I have seen them on a few different forums as of late.

culturejam

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 21, 2014, 02:29:54 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but.... hasn't there been a rash of (3) PT2399-based projects lately? I have seen them on a few different forums as of late.

Have there been? I've not been paying as much attention the past 6 months or so. I need to get my act together!  ;D

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: culturejam on May 21, 2014, 02:33:29 PM
Have there been? I've not been paying as much attention the past 6 months or so. I need to get my act together!  ;D

Well... Rob over at DIYSB has put out a few projects with multiple PTs. Abductor Delay has 4 of them.

culturejam

Ah, I see. I never read DIYSB. I'm a crabby old man shaking my fist at the sky.  ;D

GermanCdn

4 PT2399s is simply not enough.  There needs to be a delay that takes an entire sleeve.  I want to be able to pick a note, put down my guitar, go take out the garbage, check my email, grab a beer, and pick my guitar back up all before the first repeat.  ;)

But back to the original topic.  Either do make it available or don't (but do the same for all of the docs then), but the statement as a whole comes off a little "Yeah, no, don't want it.".  And it's not like we're at the original Rebote days where there was slim pickings on the DIY delay side.  There's been, what, 5 new projects here alone in the past two months?
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

madbean

From what I saw of the project, it looks like he's skipping the second inverted op-amp at each delay output and going directly into the next PT2399. That's pretty smart, actually. Why go through more gain stages than you need, as long as the phase comes out the same in the end?

But, yeah, that crowd-funding thing is not my cup of tea. Actually, I cannot seeing it lasting long. Not to knock Tonepad...it's a great resource which we all have benefited from.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: madbean on May 21, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
Not to knock Tonepad...it's a great resource which we all have benefited from.

Oh... absolutely not! I have found Tonepad to be invaluable as a resource.

I just want to know what the "recent abuse" is  ???

madbean

Quote from: culturejam on May 21, 2014, 02:25:52 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on May 21, 2014, 02:17:24 PM

That's just great. Function f(x) has something like this in the works. I wonder if we'll get blamed for "abusing" the Tonepad info?

I'm going to re-iterate this. The Function F(x) delay(s) are three PT2399 in series. One version is current mirror driven and one will be clock driven. This has been in development for about one year. So, no accusations shall be made on us since ours will undoubtedly come out after the Rebote 3!  8) 8) 8)