News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A couple questions about the Dirtbag (+bonus questions!)

Started by diablochris6, May 21, 2014, 05:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

Full disclosure: Since I got into pedal building last year, I was always eyeballing the Dirtbag Deluxe build, but I was too late to pick up one of the PCBs. After not seeing the release of Dirtbag 2013, I was feeling ambitious and made up my own Eagle file incorporating the v3205 mods so I wouldn't have to use jumpers. Of course, after I ordered the PCBs to be fabbed, the announcement that the new DD would be out in May. Oh well.

I made a mistake or two in my copy; I switched pins 5 and 6 on IC7 (remedied with trace cuts and jumpers). I also noticed that in the DD mods for v3205s, that R17 was not to be put in. This would cut off pin 6 of IC6 to not receive VB voltage, correct? Would it be bad for the pin to receive VB directly (I "jumped" R17 in my design rather than removing it)?

Using a voltmeter, I found most of the voltages fell in the accepted range that I have seen on the forum, but when I fixed IC7, I noticed some voltages changed on 2 ICs.
IC3
1-3: 4.94
4: 0
5-7: 1.53
8: 9.6

IC8
1-3: 1.55
4: 0
5: 6.3
6-7: 6.96
8: 9.6

In my first readings, pins 5-7 of IC3 and 1-3 of IC8 hovered around 4.5. Should I be concerned?

After analyzing the build doc, I noticed that the BALANCE trimmer isn't mentioned much. What does that do exactly?

I also have an infernal high-pitched tone coming out from the effect. It gets louder when I move the BLEND knob towards the dry signal, and it changes pitch when I move the LEVEL knob (it also changes pitch with a turn of my volume knob on the guitar). I can still hear it when the effect is off, and the only time it is completely gone is if the power supply is disconnected from my test box. Does it sound like a defect in my test box rather than the circuit? I have some long wires to connect to my circuit. Would shielded wire be a good idea for the Dirtbag when I put it in its box?

Thanks for any help with my bootleg pedal. By the way, I am not sharing those Eagle files if MB is going to sell those boards; I made them in light of personal education/ambition/desperation.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Scruffie

Quote from: diablochris6 on May 21, 2014, 05:19:12 AM
Would it be bad for the pin to receive VB directly (I "jumped" R17 in my design rather than removing it)?
Yes, just remove it, that probably explains your issues at IC3 & 8 as V.Ref on them is messed up.

QuoteAfter analyzing the build doc, I noticed that the BALANCE trimmer isn't mentioned much. What does that do exactly?

It balance's the 2 outputs of the BBD, used to cancel out clock noise, without a scope though many people don't find it to do too much and just set it the mid point.

I also have an infernal high-pitched tone coming out from the effect. It gets louder when I move the BLEND knob towards the dry signal, and it changes pitch when I move the LEVEL knob (it also changes pitch with a turn of my volume knob on the guitar). I can still hear it when the effect is off, and the only time it is completely gone is if the power supply is disconnected from my test box. Does it sound like a defect in my test box rather than the circuit? I have some long wires to connect to my circuit. Would shielded wire be a good idea for the Dirtbag when I put it in its box?
The Dirtbag can whine a bit if the pedals not grounded and shielded by an enclosure cause of the clock, but your issue is probably down to your V.Ref being messed up on IC3 & 8
Works at Lectric-FX

diablochris6

Thanks for the help, Scruffie. After cutting that trace, the pedal works like a charm! Can't wait to box it up.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here