News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soaring Skillet (Ibanez Flying Pan)

Started by peAk, May 20, 2014, 11:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

I am finally getting around to building this and I wanted to know if anyone knew if any of the transistors in this build need to be matched? And if they do, which ones?

Here is the build doc

http://byocelectronics.com/SoaringSkilletinstructions.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Morgan

Nope - fets aren't used in this one in the same way they are in the phase 90/45. It's got optocouplers wiggling the bias on the op amps instead. No need for matching...
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

peAk

Quote from: Morgan on May 21, 2014, 12:14:40 AM
Nope - fets aren't used in this one in the same way they are in the phase 45. It's got optocouplers wiggling the bias on the op amps instead. No need for matching...

ahhh...the answer I wanted to hear!!!

thanks Morgan!

Morgan

Old Blog...

Kinki fuzz

Wow, didn't know that kit existed! Is there a pcb-only option or etching project out there?

Enviado desde mi HTC One SV mediante Tapatalk

peAk

Quote from: Kinki fuzz on May 22, 2014, 07:24:48 AM
Wow, didn't know that kit existed! Is there a pcb-only option or etching project out there?

BYOC sold me just the PCB. It was like $15-20, can't remember. Just keep in mind that you will also need to purchase (2) of their Optocouplers as well and those cost $15 each. These are custom Optocouplers that they have made so I don't "think" you would be able to source them anywhere else. Lastly, the pcb is designed for 1/8" resistors. You could use 1/4" but you would have to stand all of them up which would be a PITA, me thinks.

Kinki fuzz

Ok, I see... too much PITA overall, I guess

But damn, the project is tempting! Hope to see your coments ejem completed

slacker775

It's definitely a worthwhile project.  I just built one about a month ago.   It's phase is quite different from a standard Phase 90 type which makes it a real nice add to the tone collection.

peAk

I think it's worth it....

it's also stereo!

Morgan

Quote from: peAk on May 22, 2014, 11:48:08 AMBYOC sold me just the PCB. It was like $15-20, can't remember.
Yeah, they need to step up their game in making just the pcbs available. They will sell you any of their pcbs if they have enough on hand, but you have to email and ask for them. Apparently they are working on getting them all into their storefront.

Old Blog...

peAk

Quote from: Morgan on May 22, 2014, 04:59:24 PM
Quote from: peAk on May 22, 2014, 11:48:08 AMBYOC sold me just the PCB. It was like $15-20, can't remember.
Yeah, they need to step up their game in making just the pcbs available. They will sell you any of their pcbs if they have enough on hand, but you have to email and ask for them. Apparently they are working on getting them all into their storefront.

yeah, agree

I have built their phaser royal and it's great. I have their analog vibrato pcb that needs to be built as well.

atreidesheir

Quote from: Morgan on May 22, 2014, 04:59:24 PM
That will be a wonderful day.  I did not know they would sell unlisted pcbs.  I have emailed a couple of times and crickets chirped.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman