News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Finally, some success!

Started by tunatuk, May 16, 2014, 11:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tunatuk

Well, except not with a pedal.  I bought a VVR (variable voltage resistor) for my Marshall Class 5 so I could get some crunch without having to dime it.  My fiancee and downstairs neighbor don't like it too much when I do.

I installed it, moved the LED indicator to a new spot and everything works.  Well the LED failed on me after a few minutes, but that's not a big issue for me.  Needless to say, I'm excited.  But no, I'm not gonna go all in and start modding amps now.  Just gonna stick to playing!

Leevibe

Vindication!!! Nice job man. I'm glad you haven't quite put the iron down yet. A bunch of us are happy that there's still a spark of life there.

And VVRs are awesome.

tunatuk

Just an update...the light wasn't an LED like I thought (I never really looked), and the hole I drilled had the leads stressed on the bulb.  The leads just popped off, and that's why it failed.  I ordered a new one, clipped it in, and it works great!

Leevibe

Muadzin

Even if you can't build your pedals from scratch, it never hurts to be able to pick up a soldering iron and fix your gear. There are so many musicians who aren't even able to do just that. What a scary and above all extremely expensive world they must be living in.

tunatuk

Yep! I may start again by trying to modify pedals. I definitely need to pick up some of the recommended readings people mention, so I can understand exactly what each component does, and then understand how the circuits actually function and affect the toan. 

But right now I don't have time to start, but I can definitely get the books to read while I'm on my throne.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk