I'm thinking about modding a TS9.

Goals:
-Cleaner
-Louder
-Keep the Midrange
-Keep the Compression

Changes I'm thinking about making
1) Clipping Diodes mod options (I'll pick one of these, maybe test a few):
-Lift (not enough compression? Too 'raw?')
-Bright LED
-Double the number of Silicon Diodes (enough boost and headroom?)
-Resistor in parallel as a partial lift (if so, what value resistor?)
2) C3 to .22uf & R6 to 1Kohm: more gain, same tone
3) R5 to 10ohm: more clean at the lower end of the drive knob.

Basically, I want to keep the pedal as true to an Ibanez TS9 as possible, but I want more headroom and a louder output.

Is there any point to the last two mods (#2 and 3 above)?

Thanks much!
Jon

flanagan0718

I have a copy of Wampler's mod book and it has like 2 dozen different mods for this. Pm me your email and I'll send you the pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heady jam fan

Thanks!
PM sent.

Someone also suggested replacing the 500K Drive pot with a 250K pot. Makes sense if the pedal still overdrives after the other mods.

Scruffie

Change the clipping diodes to LEDs, that's all you need to do.
Works at Lectric-FX

rullywowr

Quote from: Scruffie on May 16, 2014, 12:55:21 PM

This. Or remove them all together if you want super loud and clean.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

heady jam fan

Quote from: rullywowr on May 16, 2014, 01:01:32 PM

Quote from: Scruffie on May 16, 2014, 12:55:21 PM

This. Or remove them all together if you want super loud and clean.

Thanks guys!

I want it super loud and clean, but I feel like there is a bit of compression even when a TS is clean - I dont want to lose that.

flanagan0718

In the doc I sent you you can raise or lower the value you of a cap or two and the compression will either increase or decrease. I did a bunch of mods to a friends TS9 a couple of months ago and I changed a couple of resistors (made switchable) to decrease and increase drive. Try a few different diodes but do all the other mods with the stock diodes first. Then try switching between them. LEDs will make it MUCH louder so i would put them on a toggle switch with another pair to compare and contrast.

heady jam fan

Quote from: flanagan0718 on May 16, 2014, 01:52:41 PM
In the doc I sent you you can raise or lower the value you of a cap or two and the compression will either increase or decrease. I did a bunch of mods to a friends TS9 a couple of months ago and I changed a couple of resistors (made switchable) to decrease and increase drive. Try a few different diodes but do all the other mods with the stock diodes first. Then try switching between them. LEDs will make it MUCH louder so i would put them on a toggle switch with another pair to compare and contrast.

I can't figure out which caps you mean unless your talking about the R-C to ground that I mentioned:
2) C3 to .22uf & R6 to 1Kohm: more gain, same tone (First two steps of Wampler's 316 mod)

flanagan0718

Yeah that's it. I also changed the "F" caps to the 1uf film. It helps with the low end distortion.

heady jam fan

Quote from: flanagan0718 on May 16, 2014, 02:34:23 PM
Yeah that's it. I also changed the "F" caps to the 1uf film. It helps with the low end distortion.

Cool - I guess I should order those if the bass is distorting after the other mods I do...

Which LEDs do you guys suggest? I am looking at the Water-Clear High Brightness ones on Small Bear.
They carry both 3 & 5mm - does that make any difference?
How about the color? Someone suggested 5mm Red? I had 3mm Blue in my cart (just picked one at random).

flanagan0718

I used diffused Red 5mm.

rullywowr

Diffused or clear red seem to be a good choice. It's all about the fV. Blue will have a different clipping point than red etc. Best to socket them and try various combos. Once you get a pair you like you can set two flavors up on a Dpdt switch.  If you use a center  off Dpdt, the middle position will have the cleanest and much louder sound.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

heady jam fan

Quote from: rullywowr on May 16, 2014, 03:54:09 PM
Diffused or clear red seem to be a good choice. It's all about the fV. Blue will have a different clipping point than red etc. Best to socket them and try various combos. Once you get a pair you like you can set two flavors up on a Dpdt switch.  If you use a center  off Dpdt, the middle position will have the cleanest and much louder sound.

Interesting about the different LEDs.

The switch is a good idea, but I already have 2 TS9s on my pedalboard. They are both vintage and I don't want to mod them. One has the drive set at 11 o'clock and the other is cranked. At this point, I roll down my volume knob for my clean tone, but wish the TS was a little cleaner and louder. I've tried a Keeley Red Dirt, which is the cleanest TS clone/boutique/mod I've found (I've tried many), and I also have a PQ9 that I set to have a similar EQ to a TS, but nothing sounds as good to mean as a real Ibanez TS9.