News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Where to buy 1/8W resistors

Started by ThePastRecedes, May 15, 2014, 05:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePastRecedes

I've got a few 1590A builds that I'd like to finish but I forgot a few resistor values on my last mouser order. Is there anywhere else that I could order 1/8W resistors? I'm not down to pay $20 for shipping a few parts...
I build stuff for myself, sometimes I do 1 offs, I label them as HornBlende Audio.

GermanCdn

There's a couple of Chinese ebay sellers which sell 100 packs for 0.99 shipped.  I think the one I used was UK-electric (not affiliated with the same pedal parts company in the EU), and there's another called Industryland I think.  Not that you need 100 to finish your builds, but if they are common parts, you could always use them in full size builds as well.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

rullywowr

I think a good place to start is to order some of the 1/8w resistor packs on eBay.  You get a large assortment of various values - good value.

If you don't think you will need all of them, then you can order from Mouser or Digikey for a few values....shipping will be much more expensive making the eBay packs very attractive (provided they have the values you seek).

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

micromegas

mmmm..... http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/

Paul's shop. Almost all the values you may need, good price and excelent customer service.

(Paul = Cromesphere @Madbean's, he is a nice guy, go check his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/chromespherecom)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

pickdropper

Quote from: rullywowr on May 15, 2014, 05:58:00 PM
I think a good place to start is to order some of the 1/8w resistor packs on eBay.  You get a large assortment of various values - good value.

If you don't think you will need all of them, then you can order from Mouser or Digikey for a few values....shipping will be much more expensive making the eBay packs very attractive (provided they have the values you seek).

I think this is a good approach.  Start off with an eBay kit and refill as the values get used up.

Mouser is a good source.  Allied has really good prices as well, plus you can throw in a few cheap opticouplers in the cart to help justify the shipping.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

Quote from: pickdropper on May 15, 2014, 06:44:21 PM

Quote from: rullywowr on May 15, 2014, 05:58:00 PM

I think this is a good approach.  Start off with an eBay kit and refill as the values get used up.

Mouser is a good source.  Allied has really good prices as well, plus you can throw in a few cheap opticouplers in the cart to help justify the shipping.

PD certainly knows his 1/8w resistors!   ;)

I actually just built a stash recently using the kits from eBay.  I spent $34.00 (including shipping) and got 4850 1/8w resistors in 97 values (I ordered two $17.00 kits).  That comes out to be about $0.0057 a resistor.  Shipping was quick and I have a ton of values (including the most common) to get started with.  I organize them the same way as my 1/4w using caprisun boxes (with the tops cut off) and coin envelopes.  Works for me.  I plan on doing some more baby board builds and of course 1/8w klon stomp resistors.  Shipping was about 2 weeks or less and it took me about 1-2 hours to sort/organize them (best done with a beer close by and some kind of TV/Radio on).

Here is the link (although I'm sure there are many more similar deals out there):  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Film-Resistor-1-1-8W-0-125W-Kit-2425pcs-/191086070861?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

peAk

Oh yeah, if Paul has them, I would definitely order some from him.

I received my order from Paul pretty quick and shipping was cheap. Don't let him being in Australia turn you away.

selfdestroyer

peAk

selfdestroyer

Quote from: peAk on May 15, 2014, 07:53:53 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 15, 2014, 07:49:13 PM
I was just asked this on my blog also.. here was my response.

I have ordered them from 2 different sellers on eBay. Here are the links to the items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8w1-87ValueX20-ResistorsKit-Metal-Film-Resistor-Package-1740pcs-ROHS-freeship-/261447597574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3cdf7dbe06

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190424559408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hey Cody, how long did shipping take?

Just under 2 weeks. Whats funny is, I always complain about shipping from China but I spend a week just looking around for state side sales and by the time I find something I could have received the package from China. So now I just order and forget about it. Then its a surprise when it gets here.

Cody

das234

That's a ton of resistors.  Is 1/8w ok to use in projects where I'd normally use 1/4w?

rullywowr

Quote from: das234 on May 15, 2014, 09:27:43 PM
That's a ton of resistors.  Is 1/8w ok to use in projects where I'd normally use 1/4w?
In about 99% of all pedal applications yes, no problem.

das234

Thanks.  Is there a general rule where I shouldn't use them?

Leevibe

I ordered 1/4w resistors from Paul that are 1/8w size! Very cool and shipping was cheap from OZ to US.