News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone following the "Taylor McGrath" debacle on TGP?

Started by culturejam, May 14, 2014, 05:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: davent on May 16, 2014, 04:27:31 PM
I out of the loop up here in the GWN, P+W... Pagans + Wizards?

Now that'd be far more interesting!  ;D
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

Quote from: juansolo on May 16, 2014, 04:37:56 PM
Quote from: raulduke on May 16, 2014, 11:24:53 AM
I'm sorry but the 'equipping the world for worship' banner rings alarm bells for me (ie. cheapening and using peoples faith as a marketing means/gimmick).

I get the impression there is a bit of naivety with the P+W guys on Gearpage that if someone is a devout christian, they must therefore be a good egg.

The two do not go hand to hand in my experience (ie. there are douchebag dicks in all walks and persausions of life).

Not wanting to get into religion. But anyone claims to be a devout ANYTHING sends up warning bells to me... It infers an abandonment of logic and reason in exchange for belief in a concept that cannot in any way be quantified. Best steered way away from.

I don't want to open a can of worms... but I would disagree.

I'm not religious in any way, shape, or form. However, some of my relatives are very religious and they are some of the nicest, most honest, people you could meet.

I think having faith, and abondoning logic and reason, do not go hand in hand. There are certainly guys on this forum that I am aware of that are very religious, and they seem pretty damn smart and reasonable to me.

I stand by my comment that there are nice guys and dicks in all walks, facets and persuasions of life...

juansolo

I'm not saying that religionists can't be very nice people. They can. Very nice indeed. But they can also be hugely intolerant, which doesn't sit well with me. Regardless of which deity they worship.

I suppose it comes down to the 'people can be dicks' rule.

madbean

Quote from: raulduke on May 16, 2014, 04:46:12 PM

I think having faith, and abondoning logic and reason, do not go hand in hand. There are certainly guys on this forum that I am aware of that are very religious, and they seem pretty damn smart and reasonable to me.

I think this is very true. Having lived in the South now for half my life, I can attest to the fact that the loudest voices tend to be the least reasonable and frankly, quite stupid. I believe there are legions of religious folk who are quite open to a more progressive point of view when it comes to integrating their beliefs with contemporary society. As an atheist, most of my exposure to contemporary religious thought comes from the media and that proves to be one of the worst and most biased sources possible because it's mostly idiots being controversial for its own sake, ratings,  or to win votes. Jesus don't want you to be rich, discriminatory nor intolerant, as it were.

On topic, I'm also extremely wary of anyone who uses religion or faith as a marketing tool to sell anything. But, I also think many people of faith are keen to this even though others fall prey to it. Just my rare $.02 on the topic of religion.

midwayfair

I know this forum doesn't have written rules about discussing politics, religion, etc., but can we please try not do so? I come here to get away from stuff like that. And John, you can't just make a comment about a controversial topic and then expect no one else to reply.

EDIT: actually, I can just stop reading this thread, I think. Never mind. Carry on.

juansolo

Apologies.

You don't need to see his identification...

He can go about his business...

Move along...

;)

Leevibe

Let's get back to the train wreck! First thread locked at 62 pages/923 posts. Thread part deux currently on it's second page. Not that I'm paying much attention.  ;)

madbean

midwayfair has a made a good point. Let's just keep it on topic of TMG and TGP...after all that is far more entertaining and only slightly more productive than arguing about religion or politics.

GermanCdn

The worst part about the TMG discussion is.......it's going to drive me to buy an MJT kit, which I've been fighting the urge to do for so long.

It doesn't help that I just scored a new set of BKP '55 Blackguard pickups, which are just sitting on my build desk saying "I need to be in a different guitar than what's currently in the arsenal."

When the tax return comes, I think a heavily relic'd butterscotch blackguard is in order.....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

The real winner in all of this is going to be MJT, I think. They are getting a ton of eyeballs but zero negative sentiment in the wake of this epic intercontinental shitstorm.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gtr2

I have a MJT strat body waiting for a neck... Maybe I should sell it for mad money  8)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

irmcdermott

It'll be interesting to see the interview they just recorded to address all of this.

atreidesheir

It never hurts that MJT's product is well-done.  He delivers the goods on body and neck finishes. 
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

atreidesheir

I am simply waiting for the announcement Taylor/Antonio has checked himself into Rehab.  That is how most bad behavior is dealt when the media is involved these days.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jkokura

Quote from: juansolo on May 16, 2014, 04:37:56 PM
Not wanting to get into religion. But anyone claims to be a devout ANYTHING sends up warning bells to me... It infers an abandonment of logic and reason in exchange for belief in a concept that cannot in any way be quantified. Best steered way away from.

I hate to argue with you John, as I tend not to be argumentative when I have to, but I think that's a fairly narrow view of the idea of being devout. After all, one could be a devout Vegetarian, which is a personal choice, not an abandonment of logic and reason. Being devout is following strictly, not blindly.

"I do no think that word means what you think it means"

Edit = I should have read the last page.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals