First time tagboard question

Started by Guybrush, May 12, 2014, 01:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Deleted.

Double post (phone issues sorry)

Guybrush

Quote from: flanagan0718 on May 15, 2014, 02:00:28 PM

The film cap isn't too important. and the ele's are fine. I would start with the audio probe now and see if you can pin point it.

Great suggestion. Thanks.

I should have thought of this myself. Though a schematic would be useful for audio probing I guess.

flanagan0718

Quote from: peAk on May 15, 2014, 03:05:53 PM
(((Dumb question alert)))

So this type of tagboard/vero doesn't require etching, correct?

This was why have have strayed away from vero so far because I don't have a laser jet printer for etching.

If I am understanding correctly, this just requires jumpers and drilling/cutting out traces?

Correct! There is no etching. There is a way to etch with an inkjet. see link below

http://www.instructables.com/id/Creating-Printed-Circuit-Boards-with-a-INKJET-Prin/#step0

peAk

thanks guys!!!

Sorry Guybrush, wasn't trying to hijack your thread. This thread has inspired me!

muddyfox

I for one am looking forward to all the vero builds you folks are gonna churn out. Having done a lot of stuff on vero, I kinda have a soft spot for it :-)

sent from my mobile device

flanagan0718

Quote from: muddyfox on May 15, 2014, 05:39:15 PM
I for one am looking forward to all the vero builds you folks are gonna churn out. Having done a lot of stuff on vero, I kinda have a soft spot for it :-)

sent from my mobile device

Like wise! I've had success with choruses, delays, boosts, and power bricks. Fabbed boards are great but I defiantly enjoy a vero challenge every once and a while!

hylandren

I am a novice who is itching to try vero, but haven't yet only because I've told myself that I first have to build the kits I already have!
;D
Some time back, I asked Guitarmageddon about vero tutorials and he sent me the link below.
Given that I would be starting from square 1, I found this to be one of the easiest understand:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/TUTORIALS/album21/

Guybrush

So I've reflowed all the joints l, checked for bridges, checked with my audio probe and replaced a few components and I'm still getting the whine.

I don't know if it helps shed any light on the problem but when I remove the transistor the whine remains

Grrr....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

muddyfox

Quote from: Guybrush on May 15, 2014, 03:57:36 PM

Though a schematic would be useful for audio probing I guess.

Lookey here, found it on Harald's site...

Guybrush

Thank you Muddyfox but I've just fixed it.

The electros were in back to front.

I assumed the blue dots on the electros on the layout represented the negative leg but it appears not!

Thanks everyone for their help and advice. I'll definitely be building more vero now that I've cut me teeth! :)

muddyfox

Quote from: Guybrush on May 15, 2014, 07:26:58 PM

I assumed the blue dots on the electros on the layout represented the negative leg but it appears not!

Whaaa? That makes no sense. You've oriented them properly in the pictures. Say that power filtering 47u, the line (neg) to gnd, other side to 9V. You've turned it around and now the line is on the 9V rail?  :o

flanagan0718

Quote from: muddyfox on May 15, 2014, 07:38:55 PM
Quote from: Guybrush on May 15, 2014, 07:26:58 PM

Whaaa? That makes no sense. You've oriented them properly in the pictures. Say that power filtering 47u, the line (neg) to gnd, other side to 9V. You've turned it around and now the line is on the 9V rail?  :o

I'm confused too...but hey, if its working :o

Guybrush

The negative leg of the 47uf cap is now in line with the 9vt wire.

The negative lead of the 10uf cap is now in line with the 5k1 resistor.

No idea if this is "correct" but it works.

I found the fix in the tagboard effects page for the circuit. Someone else had the same problem as me and fixed it by rotating the electros.

Clayford

Quote from: Guybrush on May 15, 2014, 08:08:49 PM
The negative leg of the 47uf cap is now in line with the 9vt wire.

The negative lead of the 10uf cap is now in line with the 5k1 resistor.

No idea if this is "correct" but it works.

I found the fix in the tagboard effects page for the circuit. Someone else had the same problem as me and fixed it by rotating the electros.

Completely backwards.... Makes no sense. Did you accidentally swap your power and ground wires on the DC jack or something? Because you are correct the light colored area is the ground indicator just like your electros...

Or are your electros marked backwards for some reason??!?

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Guybrush

The circuit is still hooked up to my test rig which I've used loads of times before so I'm pretty sure the DC jack is wired correctly.

The electros came from 2 different sources and I've used both values before so I can't say that they are a faulty batch.

Bizarre.