Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help check my build doc

Started by LaceSensor, May 12, 2014, 11:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi

I recently placed an order for PCBs of my Lovetone Doppelganger clone project
I have written up a build doc this morning.
Let me know if its any good? Comprehensive enough, missing anything etc etc

see attached!  as of 13:50pm GMT, new version uploaded!

appreciate your comments

Ian

haveyouseenhim

It looks pretty complete to me. I want to build one now.

Maybe the only thing needed is a drill guide since there's a row of pots and the board mounted switches.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

RobA

It looks good. In the general information section, are the electrolytic caps 2.5mm spacing? The doc says 5mm but the line on parts spacing says 5mm. You also might want to include the ceramic cap spacing.

I see one typo in the Mods section. The last sentence should end with "massively expanded."

Other than those couple of things, everything is clear to me.

I have one question on the PCB mounted pots and jacks. Which toggles did you use? I have one PCB I have back from OSH that uses 9mm Alpha pots and board mounted toggles and I ran into a problem with the Tayda toggles. They have a stray piece of metal in the little washer alignment slot that keeps the bottom nut from going flush with the face of the toggle. That keeps the top of the pots from lining up correctly with the top of the nut of the toggle. I'm just wondering if you saw anything similar. I do have other SPDT toggles that don't have the problem and some Apem SPDT toggles that are great, but their body is too tall to work at all.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

LaceSensor

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on May 12, 2014, 11:56:17 AM
It looks pretty complete to me. I want to build one now.

Maybe the only thing needed is a drill guide since there's a row of pots and the board mounted switches.

People will have to figure that out for themselves, sorry. Its not my forte (!)

Quote from: RobA on May 12, 2014, 12:36:44 PM
It looks good. In the general information section, are the electrolytic caps 2.5mm spacing? The doc says 5mm but the line on parts spacing says 5mm. You also might want to include the ceramic cap spacing.

I see one typo in the Mods section. The last sentence should end with "massively expanded."

Other than those couple of things, everything is clear to me.

I have one question on the PCB mounted pots and jacks. Which toggles did you use? I have one PCB I have back from OSH that uses 9mm Alpha pots and board mounted toggles and I ran into a problem with the Tayda toggles. They have a stray piece of metal in the little washer alignment slot that keeps the bottom nut from going flush with the face of the toggle. That keeps the top of the pots from lining up correctly with the top of the nut of the toggle. I'm just wondering if you saw anything similar. I do have other SPDT toggles that don't have the problem and some Apem SPDT toggles that are great, but their body is too tall to work at all.

Electro caps, yes sorry,  2.5mm, ill fix that
Ceramic cap spacing is 5mm also.

will fix the typo

with regards the toggles, I used the regular red bodied ones, including Tayda type ones and they work fine for me. You can use washers or use the nut that comes with them to even heights up. Im not going to modify the build doc regards that.

thanks for commenting

RobA

Quote from: LaceSensor on May 12, 2014, 12:44:08 PM
with regards the toggles, I used the regular red bodied ones, including Tayda type ones and they work fine for me. You can use washers or use the nut that comes with them to even heights up. Im not going to modify the build doc regards that.
I don't think you need to say anything in the build guide about the toggles. I consider the toggles I have that won't work to be faulty. I was just wondering what you saw with the toggles you used. Even with the messed up Tayda toggles I've got, the end results are fine if I just use the lock washer and leave off the bottom nut.

You've almost got a drill guide in the build doc already. If, on the part for the 9mm pots, you put a circle where the knob would be, then a scale image of the PCB layout from Eagle would give the needed drill locations for the pots and toggles.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).