News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recommend me a distortion build

Started by Guybrush, May 11, 2014, 09:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

I do NOT recommend the Dr. Boogie on Vero. I suggest it on a board. As always ymmv
[/quote]

I've never done one but I'll keep that in mind ;)

alanp

The Boogey is VERY sensitive to layout.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Id go with something based on the crunchbox or similar
very usable marshall sounding pedal, not a fuzz at all.

Guybrush

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out everything that has been suggested and hopefully settle on one or two of them.

Cheers guys!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Clayford

Quote from: Guybrush on May 12, 2014, 07:17:15 AM
[...] hopefully settle on one or two of them.

Cheers guys!

HA..
He said one or two....  ;D
Welcome to the mandness.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Kinki fuzz

I'm a huge fan of the RAT too, the Slow Loris project is a great one, lots of character and very versatile. Distortion + or DOD250 are good if you are pushing a driven amp with them.

I would also recommend the Tube Sound Fuzz or Red Llama, easy build and great tone, both on it's own or mixed with a driven amp. Don't let the name fool you, not a fuzz at all. Madbean's Snarkdoodle project.

Enviado desde mi HTC One SV mediante Tapatalk

GermanCdn

My two cents.

I really, really like BSIABs or Riot (Uproar) based circuits for straight up distortion circuits.  Not to say that the others mentioned here aren't great, those two are just my favourites.

If I was building a RAT clone, I'd build Thomas H's version.  I've found it to be the most flexible.

There's also a few HM-2 circuits floating around as well, including one on Osh Park I think.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Droogie

One that hasn't been mentioned yet (I think) is the Grapevine, Bean's take on the Dirty Little Secret. Might be my favorite straight-up distortion. Also like the Mysterioso for a wide variety of gain options—pretty mid-rangey though, which is not everyone's thing..
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Vallhagen

Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 12, 2014, 03:20:38 AM
Bengt «Blue Monster» seems to be versatile and great sounding, simple build aswell from what i see.

Ah, i recommend that one anyday 8) ... or something called "ACE" which is to be released public... any week.

Cheers!
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Clayford

Quote from: Vallhagen on May 12, 2014, 04:40:46 PM
Ah, i recommend that one anyday 8) ... or something called "ACE" which is to be released public... any week.

Cheers!

Shameless self promotion! I'ma get the chainsaw!
;)
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

pryde

I recommend the Boneyard!

Version 1 has crunch and high gain channels

Version II is single channel (you can make it either crunch or high gain with a few component changes)

Haberdasher has the etched pcbs for both
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2038.0

Vallhagen

Quote from: Clayford on May 13, 2014, 01:35:03 AM
Quote from: Vallhagen on May 12, 2014, 04:40:46 PM

Cheers!

Shameless self promotion! I'ma get the chainsaw!
;)

Argh! Dont wanna be hunted down with that oversized toenail clipper! ;D

To be serious for a moment: Yep you're right, i should have announced more clearly that mentioned circuits are my own, some reader can easily miss that. So: Shameless self promo it is!

Sorry for spamming a serious thread!

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Guybrush

Cheers for all the responses! Looks like I've got a lot to work through there! I'll probably have a listen to a few sound samples and settle on a couple to put together.

Thanks again!

snz728

Haven't built many distortions but +1 on original boneyard, (marshally)

Kinki fuzz

Quote from: Guybrush on May 13, 2014, 09:36:33 AM
Cheers for all the responses! Looks like I've got a lot to work through there! I'll probably have a listen to a few sound samples and settle on a couple to put together.

Thanks again!

Yeah, a couple. That's what I said... ::)