News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Back on the building site (Madbean and AlanP content)

Started by LaceSensor, May 09, 2014, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi gang

been a while since I posted any new builds. This year has been hectic so far personally and professionally.
That said I have managed to squeeze out a few builds recently, as discussed below.

First is a Chorus pedal made on the latest Pork Barrel PCB from Madbean.
This was made for the bass player in Everything Everything. He took my recommendation for a clean blend.
The clean circuit I found somewhere online, and modified it to my requirements.
Its unity gain / completely transparent when the blend knob is all the way down.

As the clean blend will likely be set and forgot, I made it a trim pot, ala Way Huge.
This was done on vero, then stuck on the underside of the main PCB using adhesive foam.
Graphics were aping my first ever chorus which I called Back to the Eightees (!)

Its running MN3007/MN3101 chipset at 15v via chargepump LT1054 on a roadrage board.
Includes the blinking LED/depth mod. Sounds glorious as one would expect.

clean blend:

Next up is a revised layout of the Lovetone Wobulator clone, based on AlanP tremopanation 1.0 board
The first one I made I did landscape, and had ticking issues due to proximity of the rate jack to the input.
This layout actually suits the pedal really well, and its now silent from the outset!
10k/20M LDR, diffuse green LEDs, transformer isolated outputs. I now have a vintage model to compare to and it stands up great!

alanp

I love the daughterboard for the blend mod :) So well executed!

The wobb, OTOH, is a bit intimidating! So, so well laid out. I might have to build another one in a portrait 1790NS. The stomps are also better, close together like that -- you can turn left and right on with a single foot action. I need to change the build doc at some stage -- the 20M ldr's really do work best, plus add in the trafo details. Kinda glad I couldn't find an eagle part for the trafo's, since it would have made the board pretty crammed.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Quote from: alanp on May 09, 2014, 10:17:44 AM
I love the daughterboard for the blend mod :) So well executed!

The wobb, OTOH, is a bit intimidating! So, so well laid out. I might have to build another one in a portrait 1790NS. The stomps are also better, close together like that -- you can turn left and right on with a single foot action. I need to change the build doc at some stage -- the 20M ldr's really do work best, plus add in the trafo details. Kinda glad I couldn't find an eagle part for the trafo's, since it would have made the board pretty crammed.

thanks for the comments, and again for the PCB, Alan.
The portrait orientation really is good for this pedal, and like you say, its cool to be able to stomp both trems on at the same time.
I tested a lot of LED/LDR and vactrol combos and the 10k/20M definitely seems the go-to option.
With regards the PCB and transformers, I dont think having a vero daughter board is a big deal at all. With even better planning I reckon I could have hidden it under the main PCB perhaps...

gjcamann

I like the clean blend idea, and so well packaged too - really slick. I may have to borrow your idea when I finally make my first chorus.  :D

midwayfair

Leevibe

LaceSensor

rullywowr

Glad to see you back, Lace!  I missed that heart logo.   :)

Sweet builds and you are always raising the bar with the Lovetone stuff.  The clean blend and transformer isolated outputs are pretty trick!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

m-Kresol

Nice builds!
You beat me for the back to the future logo, I already had it on a list of graphics to use for one of the next delay projects. Is this a specific font/template you used, or did you do it "by hand"?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

Very cool builds. Glad to see some new builds from you. Thanks for sharing your blend circuit, it came out great.

Cody

juansolo

Very cool. I'm building a PB shortly and am liking the look of that blend...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

LaceSensor

Quote from: juansolo on May 09, 2014, 06:54:42 PM
Very cool. I'm building a PB shortly and am liking the look of that blend...

Cool! Do it!
Note I used a b100k whereas schem called for b50k

lincolnic

Awesome builds!

I noticed in your clean blend layout that it doesn't actually say which IC to use. What's the unicorn chip?

LaceSensor

Quote from: lincolnic on May 10, 2014, 05:21:40 AM
Awesome builds!

I noticed in your clean blend layout that it doesn't actually say which IC to use. What's the unicorn chip?

Oops

Tl072 dual op amp