News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rollin' in my 'six-fo', with Timbo

Started by rullywowr, May 09, 2014, 02:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Here is a Timmy in a dormant purple powdercoated enclosure with a laser etched "Nintendo" theme.  Neutrik jacks, BLMS DC jack, and purple flat top UV LED.  A couple of carbon comps in there, strategically placed (meaning I had those values on hand that fit this build).  :)  This build features one of my latest PCB projects, the "Six-Fo" switcher.  The 'six-fo' makes it super easy to add intelligent switching to any pedal project, using low-cost and off-the-shelf components.  Assembly is also quick in less than 5 minutes and includes preprogramed uC. 

Timmy sounds, well...like a Timmy.  Great circuit Paul C. designed and very versatile - has minimal coloring of your tone.  One of my favorites.  It sounds just like my real Timmy, maybe even a bit better.  Build one and then buy a real one...err...or the other way around.  :)

The 'six-fo' switcher is a result of a lot of blood, sweat, and unsigned long variables.  It will be available at rullywow.com in the next day or so.  I will post a link below to a separate thread regarding the complete details.  It is a microcontroller relay PCB which mounts right on a momentary stomp and "remembers" if it was on/off (memory feature can be disabled).  With a plain vanilla L78L05 it draws less than 3mA in idle (mostly quiescent current from the reg - circuit draws under 1mA) and has a new, very advanced debouncing algorithm - meaning you can use it with straight-up any momentary switch (works excellent with Tayda and BLMS $2.00 switches).  The ratings of the components are in the neighborhood of way over 100,000 stomps...and it does it all without any mechanical clicking.  I like the ease which it allows you to mount the PCB while taking care of your switching/wiring/powering duties - all in style! 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

the3secondrule

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

mattlee0037

Leevibe

selfdestroyer

Awesome Rully. I will definitely give them a try. I was a bit confused at first cause I though Timbo the forum member was involved in this.. lol

Cody

LaceSensor

cool switch PCB
Does it use latching or unlatched relays?

micromegas

Quote from: LaceSensor on May 09, 2014, 10:57:25 AM
cool switch PCB
Does it use latching or unlatched relays?
I think the Takamisawa AL5WN-K is latching type
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

rullywowr

Thanks guys.  It uses 5v latching relays (AL5WNK) by Fuji/Takamisawa or compatible mostly for power savings.  I have a large amount of these relays on hand and will offer to include them with the PCB.

LaceSensor

G.G.

Damn, sir! The switch assembly alone is worth its own thread. Excellent work!!! Love the enclosure treatment!!!

alanp

Has it been FCC tested for compliance with regulations? ;)

More seriously, that's a pretty sweet solution. Do those cheap SPST momentary stomps need de-bouncing?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rullywowr

Quote from: alanp on May 09, 2014, 05:59:09 PM
Has it been FCC tested for compliance with regulations? ;)

It's only designed to run off a 9V battery (of course).  If someone builds it into a project with a 9V adapter then it's up to them to get FCC approval before selling their pedal  ;D ;D ;D  (/sarcasm)

Quote from: alanp on May 09, 2014, 05:59:09 PM
More seriously, that's a pretty sweet solution. Do those cheap SPST momentary stomps need de-bouncing?

Thanks Alan.  Yes, the cheap SPST momentary stomps are especially bouncy (boiiing!).  After a lot of trial, error, and development, I have effectively debounced the switch input using an "advanced proprietary debounce algorithm" (wow that sounds geeky!).  This is a crucial aspect, as space is very limited on the PCB for using a debounce filter network/schmitt trigger setup.  Using a regular "debounce delay" routine doesn't work well for these momentary stomp switches in particular.  This will work for just about any momentary stomp or momentary push button you can find.  Tayda and BLMS momentary stomps are what these are designed for, although if you want to be a "baller" you can drop $9USD on a Carling 110-PM.

snz728

Would this work with a wah to stop the clacking or would it turn it on/off too easily?

rullywowr

Quote from: snz728 on May 09, 2014, 07:30:36 PM
Would this work with a wah to stop the clacking or would it turn it on/off too easily?

Unfortunately, with the momentary stomps I have tried it would probably turn off too easily.  There is no "click" or spot on the stomps to prevent you from turning it off.  If you were able to find a stomp with a click in it...that would work.  Or I suppose if you installed a piece of hard foam/rubber and adjusted the height to trigger at the right spot it could work. 

Perhaps another DIY project is in the works for a replacement wah pad where it turns the wah on just by putting your foot on it.  I have seen some similar commercial pedals with this feature.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: rullywowr on May 09, 2014, 07:34:49 PM
Perhaps another DIY project is in the works for a replacement wah pad where it turns the wah on just by putting your foot on it.  I have seen some similar commercial pedals with this feature.

I was looking into that a few months back when I did a repair on my aunts Morley mini wah but it seems like all the info I can find on the "turns the wah on just by putting your foot on it" was only optical wahs. Ill have to dig around some more.

Cody