News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I wonder...

Started by madbean, April 08, 2011, 01:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

What would it sound like to stack four different op-amps in parallel?

[attachment deleted by admin]

gtr2

It would look impressive anyways!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

sgmezei

I read about stacking opamps on Beavis Audio when he was discussing the tubescreamer. I have yet to try it and would like to hear some opinions.

Bean: DO IT!

.......and record a sample so the rest of us can hear too. ::)

oldhousescott

I wonder, using different opamp types, if it would be good to put build-out resistors on the outputs, just to provide a little cushion for input offset issues.

night-B

Maybe it's possible to switch the routing with a little SPDT on/on ?  ???
Just an idea...

madbean

Quote from: oldhousescott on April 08, 2011, 04:01:00 AM
I wonder, using different opamp types, if it would be good to put build-out resistors on the outputs, just to provide a little cushion for input offset issues.

Might as well go all the way, then.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Myramyd

Switchable op-amps?

There's a million dollar idea! (Okay, this is DIY so a few hundred but still...)

Make it like a Road Rage board so you can do as an internal add-on. And if you can hook switch(es) to it to change ops on the fly? Would be awesome. Haven't seen that one anywhere.

J

aziltz

i dig the Stacker2 name.  Reminds me of that supplemental GNC pill that gets you ripped!

jkokura

I've thought that a stacker for op amps could be cool to try out, but I've never worked up the desire enough to go and order the stackers available out there. If you released one Brian I would try one, but I'm not sure of the value enough yet. It'd be interesting to hear the difference between an overdrive with a single, a double, and a quadruple op amp setup to see if I can actually hear the difference.

What's with the resistors? I'm not sure of their purpose. Do you mind explaining the why of those?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

oldhousescott suggested resistors between the outputs to balance out input offsets for different types of ICs. I went ahead and added space to put resistors between both inverted and non-inverted inputs as well because that might be a cool thing to experiment with. Honestly, I'm not to solid on how to choose the correct value in regards to the potential offset issue. It's something I need to school myself on.

I was also thinking it would be really neat to have one switch that would switch out the ICs...as in IC1, IC2 or IC1/IC2 in parallel. I'll need to think about the most economical way to do that! Maybe switching the 9v supplies on and off for the ICs?

aziltz

might be better just to connect/disconnect the outputs?

stecykmi

Quote from: madbean on April 09, 2011, 01:59:33 AM
oldhousescott suggested resistors between the outputs to balance out input offsets for different types of ICs. I went ahead and added space to put resistors between both inverted and non-inverted inputs as well because that might be a cool thing to experiment with. Honestly, I'm not to solid on how to choose the correct value in regards to the potential offset issue. It's something I need to school myself on.

I was also thinking it would be really neat to have one switch that would switch out the ICs...as in IC1, IC2 or IC1/IC2 in parallel. I'll need to think about the most economical way to do that! Maybe switching the 9v supplies on and off for the ICs?

You could try capacitor decoupling each input/output separately, too.

i wouldn't trust just turning off the supply voltages. you'd probably need to sever connections mechanically. not really space efficient, but I would use a rotary switch, probably.

oldhousescott

Here's an example from Jack Orman's site:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/superbuff.htm

He talks about using the build-out resistors to help with load sharing. He used 100 ohms in his circuit.

madbean

Awesome...I'll take look!

culturejam

It would also be cool if there were pads to use it with SIP sockets. So it could be like a "daughter card" on any existing PCB that uses a dual op amp.

And maybe one for single op amps for use in a Rat!!!

Great idea, Brian.  :D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects