News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

OctoFuzz

Started by selfdestroyer, May 06, 2014, 03:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Finished up my etch of Brian's Retrograde. This is my first octave based effect other than a SuperFuzz but its not as pronounced as this beast. This is a blast to play and with my humbuckers in my Epi Riviera you can really bust out the Gary Clark Jr sound. I can't see using this effect a lot, but it is a cool one to have around.

For the transistors, I did not have the 2N4401's laying around (lol) but I did have some cool button top NPN transistors that were unmarked and about matched the HFE of the 4401's so I gave them a try. I seems to get a bit harsher dimed than some of the videos I find but I like it that way.

My wife helped with the ideas of the name and artwork. She loves octopus'. I had these knobs from a Small Bear order and lost them over 9 months ago, I was cleaning up the bench and guess what I found tucked under my sander... these guys.

Outside:

Insides:

flanagan0718

Cody man, all these beautiful builds. When are we gonna be able to hear them... ;)
Great job! Your stuff is always A+

jkokura

Yeah dude, you killed this one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Kinki fuzz

Cool build! Looks great.
I think just the same, too wild to use it a lot or build your sound around it, but sounds so amazing and unique, you must have one.

Enviado desde mi HTC One SV mediante Tapatalk

Hexjibber

This looks great man! I really must try and use some colour with my etches one of these days, yours always seem to stand out!

raulduke

Really really nice build.

Very classy looking  8)

wgc

Love the graphic, and I have a similar issue of misplaced knobs. Awesome having your wife help out!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Bret608

I love how this looks! Awesome your wife helped out. My daughters give me drawings to use for pedal graphics sometimes, but I'm not enough of a ninja to scan them and actually be able to do something with them in Illustrator. I must need Photoshop or something.

Have you tried a Wolfshirt yet? The octave up on that is way more brutal than on my Standard Fuzz, but the non-octave mode is highly useable too. Kind of like a Muff with some slight hint of synth-y-ness/mild octave going on.

hylandren

Top notch all the way around.
I am guessing the enclosure is laser etched?

micromegas

Those last etches I've seen from you are awesome!!

Man, you have to post some pictures of your pedalboard, with the new pedals and the colors you've chosen it has to looke awesome.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

selfdestroyer

Thanks everyone, I played with this thing for a few minutes last night and found that it sounds pretty cool for lead and I over dubbed a few licks on the looper and was really happy with the results.

Quote from: Bret608 on May 06, 2014, 02:04:51 PM
Have you tried a Wolfshirt yet? The octave up on that is way more brutal than on my Standard Fuzz, but the non-octave mode is highly useable too. Kind of like a Muff with some slight hint of synth-y-ness/mild octave going on.

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at the circuit.

Quote from: hylandren on May 06, 2014, 02:18:58 PM
Top notch all the way around.
I am guessing the enclosure is laser etched?
Thanks, Its actually just a chemical etch. Here is my process. http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=2035

Quote from: micromegas on May 06, 2014, 02:29:30 PM
Those last etches I've seen from you are awesome!!

Man, you have to post some pictures of your pedalboard, with the new pedals and the colors you've chosen it has to looke awesome.
Good idea. Since my Strymon Blue Sky just got here, I am in the process of redoing my pedal board again. I will snap some shots of it this weekend and post.

midwayfair

Vallhagen

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

HailToTheBlues

Beautifull! How did you paint the enclosure? After you had etched it?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on May 06, 2014, 09:52:52 PM
Beautifull! How did you paint the enclosure? After you had etched it?

I am working on a tutorial but the simple version is:
Paint with rattle can
Wetsand very lightly with 1500 grit paper with a small sanding block
Clear coat

Cody