News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tommy

Started by selfdestroyer, May 04, 2014, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Just finished up the Tommy PCB made by pappasmurfsharem. This is a very good Timmy clone and the diode selection switches are very usable. I love this pedal, it will definitely end up on my board for sure. I never played a Timmy but if its anything close to this then I really missed out.

Etched the enclosure with some logo with some lions on it that I copped on a google images search. Shot it with a blue metallic rattle can and with some matte clear.

Guts:

angrykoko

Wow that's etched?  that's amazing looking.
Great job.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Leevibe

That looks super clean! Nice job in and out.

bcalla

midwayfair

pappasmurfsharem

Yay!

Someone used my board!

pickdropper

Great looking etch, Cody.  I love the symmetrical lion around the switch.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

mattlee0037

Awesome build! I'm just trying to figure out how you get the the color around the etch. Also what kind of paint did you use? Just enamel for paint and clear or lacquer?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: mattlee0037 on May 04, 2014, 08:35:56 PM
Awesome build! I'm just trying to figure out how you get the the color around the etch. Also what kind of paint did you use? Just enamel for paint and clear or lacquer?

No real magic involved. I really need to finish out my enclosure etching tutorial to include the painting.
http://music.codydeschenes.com/?page_id=2035

Here is a run down:
- Etch enclosure with the directions above.
- Paint enclosure with rattle can paint of your choice.
On lighter color paints it is VERY important to let the paint cure for a few days or else your paint will have black marks from wetsanding. I learned this the hard way a few times.
- I use mainly Rustoleum Brilliant Metallic paints.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/metallic/
- I bake the painted enclosure in a toaster over at 150 degrees for 15 minutes. I let it cool and cure if needed.
- I then use a small block of wood as a sanding block. I needs to be as small as half the width of the enclosure. The reason for that is so you don't wear away the edges of the enclosure by accident. I use 1500 grit wet sandpaper and lightly sand the raised areas and TAKE YOUR TIME. If you sand to much and wear through then you will need to repaint the enclosure. If you do this to many times then you will sand off your raised areas and then you're stuck.
- When done with the wet sanding, I shoot the whole pedal with clear coats. I use a matte clear since I am not a fan of super shiny pedals. The clear coat will also protect the exposed aluminum.

Hope this makes sense.

Cody

nzCdog

Cody your builds are epic.  Looks great man, love the finishing, and the graphic design

sonarchotic

That looks great, super clean and great color.

mattlee0037

Thanks that was super helpful! Looks like I need to buckle down and learn Photoshop or Inkscape...

timbo_93631

Cody, you have really hit your stride with your finishing method.  This one, and the last few you have posted all look fantastic inside and out.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

lincolnic

Not much I can add that hasn't been said already - this is a truly fantastic build.

hoodoo

Sweet build mate, you are becoming, the reverse etch master  8)