News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first ever powdercoat

Started by muddyfox, May 04, 2014, 10:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

You're well on your way, most people would be overjoyed to have results like this! 

A lot of it IMHO is developing an eye for defects, and learning to ID them.  You're halfway to fixing them at that point.

Meantime, here's something that I found pretty helpful:

http://www.peridiumpowder.com/tech_info/troubleshooter.html
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

muddyfox

Most of these apply to a corona environment and it's particulars, my gun is a tribo gun.
Some good info there though on the physics of it all, thanks!

I guess I need to get me some more projects in need of boxing, nothing like practicing on the real thing!  ;D

rullywowr

One more thing...I don't know if it's already been mentioned or if you have one but you should have an inline air/water trap attached right to your gun.  They are cheap (like $5 bucks or less) and ensure you don't get water from your compressor spitting in your powder.  Attached to the gun is the best bet as water often resides in the air line.

Also, never shoot clear over a hot enclosure.  Let cool completely and then then apply.  If you have trouble with coverage after it cools you can bake it until it "flows out" and then apply more while it is hot.

I'm powdercoating a dormant purple right now...mmmm.  Then after it cools it requires clear for it to "pop!" 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!